Obamacare Is Here To Stay

Obamacare Is Here To Stay

So sit down, relax, and enjoy it...please.

3
Obamacare Is Here To Stay

On June 25, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare, in King v. Burwell with a 6-3 vote, cementing the president’s place in history alongside FDR and Lyndon B. Johnson.

It was not the first time Obamacare was tested against the Constitution. Three years ago, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the law with a 5-4 vote in NFIB v. Sebelius declaring Obamacare is not a mandate, but a tax, thus not unconstitutional.

Even before the ACA was signed into law in March 2010, those who lean politically to the right (Republicans, Tea Partiers, Libertarians etc.) have continuously attacked the law. Today, presidential candidates are running on platforms that plan to repeal the ACA, taking away health insurance and benefits for over 9.5 million Americans.

The ACA is not perfect, but it’s off to a strong start. Americans under the age of 26 can stay on their parent’s insurance, all health insurance plans must cover the cost of preventative care such as screening for breast cancer, depression, and HIV, and you are protected if you have a pre-existing condition. Still not sure how these things are considered to be a part of an evil government plan to destroy America by Fox News pundits.

Politics and the media have polarized the American people about Obamacare, one side is right and the other side is wrong. Where did our ability to have a conversation and come up with a compromise? If we spent less time arguing over ideology, and argued about different ideas to tackle a problem, we might actually be able to forward united not divided.

So if there is an issue or concern about costs or coverage under Obamacare, let’s talk about it like civilized adults, and then get politically involved. But for now, it’s time to take a deep breath and relax because the ACA is here to stay.

Thanks Obama.