New York City Metalcore Band 'In Loving Memory' Release Music Video For 'Finna Smash'

It’s their craziest project yet.

54
Blackwolf Imaging

A New York City metalcore band, In Loving Memory, have proven their worth in their music video for “Finna Smash,” the heaviest song off their debut EP "Stand My Ground."

Compared to their last music video for “Burning Flower” off the same EP, this one is less emotional and more forceful. There’s a recurring theme in this song and video: power.

The video is all about building tension in order to see who will be triumphant, to see who will be powerful, to see who finna smash. Whether you’re a good guy or bad guy, you want power. It’s an action-packed, adventure-filled, electrifying real-life "Super Smash Bros." fight, but are the boys finna smash?

You can find out for yourself by watching the video below.

First, let’s talk about the intro to the video.

A hooded man, played by Andrew Parker, is walking outside when he picks up a wrinkly flyer off the ground. He carefully reads what’s written on it.

So you wanna be a fighter? Prove your strength. Climb the ranks. Sunday Jul. 10. The Ring. 8:00 P.M.

He then takes his hood off to reveal that he is no other than Waluigi, a fictional video game character in the Mario franchise often recognized as the evil guy who wreaks havoc and causes trouble. Do you know what this means?

Get ready.

The song starts as soon as Parker exposes himself and the camera shifts to the band. The camerawork -- done by Alex Kouvatsos at Blackwolf Imaging -- is in high definition, clear, well-edited and overall a job exceptionally well done. You wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between Kouvatsos’s work and work from a bigger artist in the scene, like Adam Elmakias or Sam Shapiro. It’s crisp, it’s professional and it’s clean.

Guitarist Jon Conway leads the intro as vocalist Naveed Stone starts off the song with a powerful saying:

I don't think it's wrong to want to feel powerful, like a force to be reckoned with. But how far will we go? And who will we step on to get there?

Keep these words in mind as you watch the rest of the music video.

The band is performing in a dim-lit garage, a very reasonable setting for a dark, enthralling music video.

Stone’s intro leads directly into his screams and unclean vocals, a fierce combination of fury and a face you don’t want to mess with. It’s easy to tell that he’s a persistent vocalist with a passion scorching deep inside his chest.

No really, he periodically grabs his chest in the music video. You can literally see his thirst for power.

As he switches from unclean to clean vocals, Waluigi enters a gloomy room. It lights up to reveal the ring.

Game on.

He jumps into the ring and prepares for his first fight with Link from "The Legend of Zelda," played by drummer Thomas Diognardi. Their battle is corny and cartoon-like, a nice fit for the "Super Smash Bros." theme. As Waluigi overthrows Link, Naveed Stone’s mantra from the song plays:

I would rather live to bring the pain than be hurt by somebody’s mistakes.

The camera focuses back to the boys in the garage, where guitarists Vito Racanelli and Jon Conway are shown back and forth in an impressive guitar battle when suddenly they transform into Mario and Luigi respectively and begin to beat the crap out of Waluigi.

They team up to finish the bad guy off while the camera alternates between the band members playing and the characters fighting. A few head bangs here and there, a couple kicks and punches and Mario and Luigi gradually knock out Waluigi.

They finna smash, right?

Wrong, he gets back up and knocks them out in one move, having them both collide into each other and fall in defeat. It’s a more intense fight than the first one, creating pressure and suspense -- a great way to keep viewers hooked on what’ll happen next.

Just as the breakdown of the song is about to hit, Captain Falcon from "F-Zero," played by vocalist Naveed Stone, steps into the ring and builds even more tension with yet another powerful saying:

For too long have I put others before myself, and if you're not first, you're last. I'd rather climb than get stepped on, and it's a long way to the top.

Show me your moves, he says as the breakdown hits. He motions Waluigi toward him as they charge straight at each other.

It’s the most intense yet corniest fight in the entire video. You’d think the two adjectives don't mix, but they surprisingly balance each other out as the heavy breakdown plays during the final fight.

More head bangs, punches, kicks and special effects lead Waluigi to the floor of the ring again, but is he defeated for good?

Captain Falcon laughs in victory as another mantra repeats, this one more powerful than any of the others:

I’m young. I’m learning. With patience, I’m growing.

As Stone repeats the lines over and over again, elevating from whispers to screams, Waluigi unexpectedly opens his eyes, gets up and continues fighting with Captain Falcon again. As Waluigi knocks him to the ground, Stone’s piercing screams in the song, a sound that’ll give everyone chills guaranteed, signal the end of the fight.

Link, Mario, Luigi and Captain Falcon all lie lifeless on the floor of the ring as Waluigi celebrates his victory. The bad guy wins.

Game over.

As this brutal music video comes to an end, you start to wonder.

Do the bad guys always win?Do the good guys never win?

If the good guys use others to get to the top, are they really the good guys?

The song makes you deliberate life a lot. It’s a bottomless realization that maybe you do need to do a little harm to rise up and be powerful. “Finna Smash” is all about carving your own path to victory with little to no regard to whom or what is affected on the way there.

While the music video is thrilling, it simplifies the deeper meaning behind the song through fictional characters in a crazy, cliché, extreme game of "Super Smash Bros." Once again, Blackwolf Imaging does an amazing job bringing fantasy into reality by using professionalism. The camera cuts are clean, and while the video is a bit shaky, it suits the heavy genre. There’s no staying still in metalcore anyway. This is the band’s wildest project yet.

There’s no doubt that In Loving Memory are onto great things. While they’re only a local band, the video hit thousands of views in only a few days. If the video doesn’t speak to you, the numbers will.

These boys are here to stay, and they’re finna smash.

Make sure to share the video and throw the band a like on their Facebook page! Follow them on Instagram and Twitter, subscribe to their YouTube channel and tell all your friends about them. You’ll be glad you got to know these guys before they blow up, which will be very soon.

Keep an eye out for their future endeavors. They’ve got wild things planned for the coming months.