I'm Not Worried About Timing, My Life Will Happen How I Want It To
Life Stages

My friends are getting engaged and having babies and I'm just here — but that's OK!

293

Since I was a little girl, I've always dreamed of being a successful adult with a big family. I have fantasized about the day that I'll be proposed to and eventually picking out a wedding dress. A little bit after that, I want to start a family. I'm still really young, and I don't have my whole life figured out by any means, but it definitely seems like the people around me do. My best friend just got engaged, people on my Facebook are getting pregnant and popping out babies, and I'm still just going to school and working.

I have been with my boyfriend off and on since I was in high school, and now we finally live together in our own home. We have our good days and our bad days, but the good outweighs the bad. I can't help but wonder when he wants to pop the question and how he wants to do it, but then again I wonder if we are at that stage in our relationship yet. We are both super young and still have a whole life ahead of us, yet I can't help thinking about what our engagement will be like.

I have to remind myself to take a step back from the situation and really look at "us," are we ready for that kind of commitment to each other? Don't get me wrong, we do love each other, but marriage is a really big step, a milestone in life, and I'm just not sure if we are there yet. My friends? They might be, they might be to the point where they are ready to make that leap and good for them! But it's OK for me to not be ready yet.

Call me crazy, but I have major baby fever, I love babies. I have younger siblings so I was always around a baby at some point, and I miss that. Babies are absolutely adorable, but no matter how much I want one, I know for a fact that I am not ready. My boyfriend and I got a puppy a couple of months ago, nothing crazy, right? Wrong.

She pees all over the place, she bites and she chews on everything. It is a mess and she is a pain. Now, imagine how my boyfriend and I would feel if this was an actual human baby. There's just no way, if we can't handle the easy tasks of a puppy right now, we most definitely should not make a baby.

A few years down the road, maybe, yeah, I would love to start a family. But first I want to make sure that we are financially and emotionally ready for that. Bringing another life into the world is not a walk in the park, and I'm glad we got a puppy so that my eyes can be officially open to that. No matter how crazy my baby fever gets, I just hold my psycho little dog for a minute and it goes away really quickly.

There's no real "right time" for anything, you choose the timing of how your life progresses. As long as you are happy and able to do these things, then go for it. In my case, and my boyfriend's, we just are not ready for either of these commitments or responsibilities yet, and that's OK. We are barely adults and before we grow up, I think it's important for us to enjoy this time together now, rather than worry about big future changes. Marriage and babies will come with time, I'm not stressing about it.