College Students Aren't Spoiled
Parents

College Students Aren't Spoiled

So what if Mom and Dad bought them that? Don't judge what you don't know.

291
https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-automotive-blur-car-13861/

Why is it that when a person in their 20s rides by in a nice sports car, there is always that one person who says, "Oh, Mommy and Daddy must have bought him that car"? Or, when a young woman walks by in something nice and someone says, "Wow, look at how she is dressed. You know she couldn't afford that without her father's money."

The person who says this is almost always around the same age as the person they are judging!

I really do not understand these statements. Every time I hear it from someone, I am so put off about it and I think, "Why is it such a bad thing for their parents to buy them stuff?" But also, we aren't even sure Mommy and Daddy bought them those items. What if, and this is a crazy thought, they worked hard and bought it themselves?

We need to stop thinking this way. There needs to be a change. Judging people because their parents help them financially or can buy them a car just because they can, needs to come to an end. There is a difference between being spoiled and being able to get a little extra help.

I am not part of a family who can just buy me expensive things. When I turned 18, I bought my own car and I am paying for my college education. But that does not mean my parents don't help me out in other areas of my life.

I live at home, so I do not have to pay rent or buy my own groceries. My parents do that for me. Does that make me spoiled? Most people would say no because shelter and food are necessities to life, and it shows that my parents care.

But when we see people with expensive material goods, that is when we become so judgemental of those people. Why is it so bad that they were given a car or those clothes? You do not know why or how they got those things. You don't even know who they are. They could be the nicest person in the world, but you already have a preconceived idea about them because of a judgment.

So, stop saying, "People with [interest expensive item here] are the worst because they obviously did not buy it themselves. They are just spoiled."

The next time you hear someone say these things or you catch yourself thinking this way, tell them or yourself to not judge what you don't know.