I'm Not Grown Up Yet

I'm Not Grown Up Yet

But maybe thats not such a bad thing.

11
I'm Not Grown Up Yet
Sarah Krueger

Whenever I meet someone, they always ask me four standard questions.

1. How old are you?

A: 19.

2. Are you in college?

A: Yes. I go to Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC.

3. What are you studying?

A: Criminal Justice and Political Science.

4. What are you planning to do with those majors?

A: I have no idea.

I just finished my freshman year of college. I can actually say "just finished" because my work was due at midnight last Friday for my online summer classes. I will technically be classified as a junior next semester, but I'm not trying to graduate early, so I still have some time to think.

There are a lot of directions my life could take. Lawyer, researcher, professor, cop, or politician. Those are just a few of the jobs I can name off of the top of my head that might be good choices. The point is, my possibilities are endless, but I have to narrow them down.

I don't know what I want to do with my life because I'm just not grown up yet. Sure, I'm legally an adult at 19 years old. I'm going to college, I currently have a summer job, I have a car, to a child I may appear like I'm a "grown up" but I haven't hit that stage in my own mind yet. I'm still dependent on my parents for just about everything. They are the ones who are making it possible for me to go to college. They are the ones who provided me with and pay for my car. During the school year they pay for the gas that goes into that car and all of my other expenses on top of the cost of college. They pay for my cell phone. I live in their house. I am incredibly grateful and lucky to have parents who do this much for me, and I couldn't make it without them. Until I can make it without them, however, I'm not going to be able to consider myself a grown up. Until I earn a paycheck that can be applied to something other than my taco bell habit, something like a house, a new car, food that isn't tacos, etc. I will not be considered "grown up" Until I can operate autonomously of my parents, I will be their "kid" who is every bit as needy as I was when I was a baby, and maybe even a little bit worse.

The good news for me is that my parents aren't trying to kick me out and force me to grow up before I'm ready. They want me to live my own life and find my own success and happiness, but they don't mind supporting me until I get to that point. They don't mind that I'm unsure about my career goals, because I'm working towards them, whatever they will be, by going to college, getting a degree, and keeping my GPA up. If I'm willing to do my part and not slack off, they're willing to do theirs. So no, I'm not grown up at 19 years old, and I'm not necessarily trying to be. For now, however, I think that is a pretty good thing. I can focus on the future and work towards it while also enjoying the here and now. Every day is full of untold adventures, so I'm going to apply my not-so-grown-up childlike wonder to them and enjoy them while I can.