No I Am Not Engaged, I Wear This Ring For God

Purity rings are still important.
74

No, I am not engaged. You have not missed anything crazy that happened in my life. If you have no idea why I would ever say this please let me explain. I wear a celtic knot infinity band on my left ring finger, odd place right? I believe the very first time someone asked me if I was engaged I was a freshman in college. Yes, I go to a small private Christian University. I know "ring by spring" is a what every college female does-- ok, well not every college female does this, but it seems to be among one of the trends. The interesting thing was this person didn't know me, but I'm sure they could tell I was a lost freshman and saw my ring. Being 18-years-old is a little too young to be engaged, so I understood their concern.

This band on my left hand, what does it stand for? Did someone buy it for me? Am I made to wear it because of some crazy Christian tradition? No, of course not! I bought this ring for myself. I wear it for myself. It is a constant reminder of the love that God has given me. The infinity loops is symbol of the love as everlasting. A daily reminder of the one who will always love me no matter what. Yes, this ring will eventually be replaced when I reach that point in my life. There is no rush I have a lot of things to accomplish before reaching that point.

Maybe it is a little confusing but in the Christian tradition girls wear purity rings and mine isn't any different. I wear mine because I chose to; my parents never told me to put one on. My pastor never told me to put one on. I decided to put this one on specifically to remind me of the intertwining relationship with God in my life. People also have a tendency to either think it is an engagement ring, a promise ring, a purity ring, or a cool ring that I put on my finger for no special reason.

Whatever might be the case, I encourage you to live your life in accordance to what you want to do. Don't let other people's thoughts and emotions control you. I had thought about taking the ring off- that maybe it confused people and maybe guys would think I was taken by seeing it. I came upon the realization that this all was a silly thought in my head. Who cares what people think! The right people will ask you about these things in life and the ones who aren't meant to be in your life won't.

I wear this ring for myself and for God. A simple thing that I can have with me everywhere I go. A constant reminder of who God is and the women I want to be in life. I am trying to live my life in accordance to 1Timothy 4:12 "Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an examplefor the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." It isn't easy, but if it were easy then everyone would do it.