Joining A Sorority When You're Not A 'Total Sorority Girl'
Sororities

You'd Never Peg Me As The Sorority Type, But That's Where I Found My College Family

"Trust the process" was a trigger for me. But to be fair, you have to trust the process.

674
Zoey Leonard

In movies, sororities are portrayed as girls that have a full face of makeup, closets full of high-end designer clothing and a perfect GPA.

On a normal day, I have none of the above qualities.

Typically my life consists of an oversize, messy bun with a chai latte and an overbearing amount of work to do. I burp and fart like a trucker. I hate wearing heels and dresses. I am the polar opposite of the "typical sorority girl." So why did I even both to rush?

While there are girls that wear makeup, dress nicely and have perfect the GPA, there are also many girls who aren't like that. I did not realize that until I went through the process.

The process at Bowling Green is long, exhausting, mind-altering, and so much more. I have to admit, I was a bit of a skeptic. I've never been one to be constantly hanging out with 10 girls let alone 80 of them. I decided to go forward because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself.

I went back and forth with the first round (open houses). I really wasn't sure that I could just be confident in myself enough to make an organization want me. That was my first mistake.

When I hit the second round (philanthropy), I fell in love with some organizations. I have had events in my life that have made me relate and even experience to some of the philanthropies. Many of the sororities on campus have something to do with children, some even represent organizations as big as Autism Speaks.

After this round, I realized I was in the right place. My passion for service is an all-time high.

As the rounds moved forward, I met so many amazing women. Bid day came around, and that typical sorority girl in me came out. I cried so much and even covered myself with glitter. These girls have welcomed me with open arms. Have already brought the best out in me. Together let us seek the heights. I have found my home and I hope that you will too.