Missing, How to, miss you

8 Things To Do When You Miss Someone

It's hard when you are away from your friends

58

I have some friends who are far away right now and I figured I would compile a list of things you can do for them and yourself when you miss them. I know how difficult it can be to say goodbye or see you later to people you love and care about, but in the Passenger song "Only know you love her when you let her go." I think that song describes what it means to be apart from people you love and explains how you can let someone go. If you love someone and care about someone, then you will let them go and do what's best for them.

1. Writing to them

https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1410524

You can write to them through text message or an actual letter. There is no one who can say that they hate getting mail. When you get mail from someone, it reminds you of how much they love you and miss you. You can also send them a message through Facebook or Instagram. Basically any form of communication is good. You should never stop communicating with them otherwise one of you will think that the other has forgotten about them. When you send a letter, you can also send a small package.

2. Sending meaningful gifts

c1.staticflickr.com

I know that something we all love is a present, especially unexpected presents. For example, I was shopping the other day and I saw a stingray stuffed animal and I knew that I had to get it for one of my friends. She loves stingrays and when she sees it, it can remind her of me. The same thing applies to seeing their favorite candy or soap or anything they like and just getting it for them because you know it will make them smile. Basically anything that you know will make them smile, you should send them.

3. Reminding them that they are the sun, the moon and all the stars

c1.staticflickr.com

Something else that you can do for the person who misses you is remind them of the stars and the sun. On Earth, the same stars can be seen from different locations based on their positions. I had a friend look at the night sky when she misses me because we can both see the big dipper and it made her feel like I was right next to her. You can also remind them that you are looking at the same moon as them and the sun, which can make them feel like you're not that far away from them.

4. Not talking about how far apart you are from each other

c1.staticflickr.com

A very important thing to do is not talk about how much you miss them or how long it is until you see each other. However, if you give them a date when you're coming to visit them, that can help them cross off the days until they get to see you again. If you constantly talk about how much you miss them and wish that they were with you, that will make both of feel worse. You should try to talk about things going on in both of your lives and not just yours.

5. A little communication

I know that with it being summer and many people my age are away from each other because of college, but I hope that these can help. I know that all it takes for one of your friends to not be so sad to be away from you is a little communication and a reminder that you are still there for them. If someone hasn't reached out to you, maybe you should reach out to them.

6. Leaving little notes

c1.staticflickr.com

I know that when my dad is going away on trips, we always stick little notes in his stuff. For example, we stick notes in his socks that he'll see when he goes to put them on. Or, I'll stick a nice note in my friends agenda on a day that I know she'll check it. The thing with getting a little note is it reminds the person reading it of the person they miss and how much that person cares about them.

7. Fill your time

upload.wikimedia.org

When you miss someone, it can be easy to just mope about and not have much to do. You should try to fill your time as much as possible. You could go and start a new activity or hang out with some other friends. You could take this as an opportunity to improve yourself and do things just for you. This can also be an opportunity to share with people how you feel and let yourself become more vulnerable.

8. Listening to music that matches your mood

c1.staticflickr.com

This is the perfect time to listen to all of your sad songs and angry songs that would be weird to listen to on the normal basis. This is the perfect time to sit in your car and cry to a sad song because no one's going to judge you. A perfect opportunity to wear all of your black and bring out your inner emo kid.