North Korea And South Korea Unify For Olympic Games

Can the olympics save relationship between the divided Koreas?

Rumors of North Korea and South Korea consolidating as a unified team is becoming a reality as officials from both countries are looking to unify in the approaching Winter Olympics. A striking agreement decided that both teams will march under one “unified Korean” flag for the games.

A joint news release revealed the flag would display an undivided Korean peninsula.

Additionally, a joint women’s ice hockey team is now officially established serving as the greatest sign of reconciliation between these enemy nations in decades. The last union between these two countries was in 1991 where athletes from both countries played under one team in an international table tennis championship and a youth soccer tournament.

South Korea has been looking to open communication and improve relationships with North Korea despite North Korea's increasing nuclear missile tests in recent years. Now South Korea is finally finding some progress beginning with the collaboration in the winter games which take place in less than a month.

Despite this movement, President Trump’s aggressive view on North Korea and their position in potential nuclear conflict remains. Many critics condemn Trump for his belligerent words and view this dialogue as ignorant and dangerous. What fuels this fury is the concern that North Korea is making dramatic progress with their nuclear technology posing a threat to the U.S. and its loyal allies.

Less than a week ago an erroneous alert was sent to all of Hawaii warning civilians of an incoming missile. Although this was sent as a glitch with dispatchers, the reality of a real missile launching is unequivocally present.

These events all take place with North Korea's regime still promising more nuclear missile tests in addition to an atmospheric nuclear test. The volatile command of North Korea puts the world in fear and the question of war is still possible.

Nevertheless, North Korea and South Korea are turning the tables in the midst of all this tension and still intend to stand as a unified front for these Olympics. Only time can tell how this will effect relationships between the split countries and the future relations North Korea will have with the rest of the world.