9 Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Dishes For When Tradition Just Doesn't Cut It

If you hate Thanksgiving food like I do, here are 9 alternatives to the Thanksgiving classics!

13

Of course, the true meaning of Thanksgiving is about appreciating what you have and being gracious to others around you. But if you're like me and Thanksgiving food, it can be hard to be grateful for Thanksgiving potluck dinners.

Traditionally, people serve turkey or ham as the main course with a wide array of sides. This includes veggies, potatoes, casseroles, and for dessert - yet another wide variety of pies. In my opinion, the only thing worth keeping around is the potatoes but who says Thanksgiving has to be traditional?

I asked around and found out what non-traditional entrees and sides people substitute Thanksgiving food with. Some might surprise you, some may not, but these are definitely something that you can try this year!

Tamales

Photo by Tai's Captures on Unsplash

A classic Mexican dish for a reason. This is what my family has instead of Turkey and Ham for Thanksgiving dinner.

Wings or Fried Chicken

Photo by Nadine Primeau on Unsplash

This is my personal favorite! This dish is All-American and you can enjoy various flavors of garlic parmesan, buffalo, or barbeque. Serve it with a side of ranch and voila!

Street Corn

Photo by Drew Beamer on Unsplash

Something about street corn hits different than regular corn. Most households enjoy Corn Casserole over the holidays. Street Corn for the holidays is a simple way to shake things up.

Burgers

Photo by Miha Rekar on Unsplash

Yet another All-American choice that everyone likes! Even your most picky relatives will enjoy this.

BBQ/Smoked Ribs

board of grilled meats Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

Seriously, when have BBQ ribs, smoked ribs, or smoked BBQ ribs ever been a bad idea?

Just imagine - you take a bite and the meat falls right off the bone...

Mac & Cheese

Photo by Ronaldo de Oliveira on Unsplash

A classic! This is probably very normal at Thanksgiving dinners but is so good it deserves to make the list.

Add some bread crumbs or some protein (salami, bacon, or sausage) for an easy Thanksgiving meal that tastes as good as it looks.

Seafood Fry/Cajun

Photo by Jonathan Borba on Unsplash

Do I need to say more? This slightly off the wall pick is sure to be a hit. It's full of flavor and a unique addition to a Thanksgiving tradition.

Lasagna

Photo by Mak on Unsplash

You can never really go wrong with lasagna, let alone italian food in general!

Don't forget to add a little green garnish when it's ready to serve to add that extra flair!

Steak

Photo by Chad Montano on Unsplash

Whether it be filet mignon, sirloin, ribeye, flap, or whatever your favorite type of steak is, it'll be the juicy and delicious choice that'll add a little extra taste to your Thanksgiving.

Just try something different! It may spice up your Thanksgiving if the traditional spread isn't normally for you, and who knows? Maybe having a non-traditional Thanksgiving will become your family's new tradition!