Christmas Isn't Under Attack, It's Attacking Everything Else

No one is trying to take away Christmas, but Christmas steamrolls other holidays with ease.

221

It's that special time that comes around each year as fall turns to winter, and pumpkin spice turns to peppermint — the "war on Christmas."

Each year, like clockwork, a mass of Christian and Catholic Americans find a new reason to cry out that they're being oppressed and that American businesses are waging a war on Christmas. From people saying "happy holidays" to Starbucks having holiday cups that are not explicitly Christmas themed, there is always fuel for the irrational fire.

And, since we're getting on toward the end of Hanukkah, now seems like the perfect time to explain why these people should be ashamed of themselves. As any Jewish (or, in my case Jew-ish) person will tell you, guilt is a core component of Judaism.

Over 40 million Christmas trees were purchased in 2016, and while Christians made up 48.9% of Americans in 2016, this year it's projected that 51% of all Americans will celebrate Christmas in church.

Christmas is not in danger of not being celebrated in America — no red cup or inclusive greeting has changed that. But on my last trip to Target to purchase gift wrap (as many 20-something women are wont to do) I found approximately 75% of the gift wrap to be Christmas-specific, 15% not specific to any holiday, and 5% was Hanukkah-specific. And not one piece of Kwanzaa wrapping to be found.

It makes no sense that those celebrating a holiday observed more than any other holiday in America, founded in the most prevalent religion in America, would be concerned about the erasure of said holiday.

Not once have I turned on the radio in December and heard the Dreidel Song, but every child in American public school knows at least five Christmas songs because they're being taught those in music class.

I have had countless store employees wish me a "Merry Christmas" but not once a "Happy Hanukkah." And I, along with many others, have accepted that this will probably never happen. But I appreciate so much when I am wished "Happy Holidays," because it doesn't presuppose anything about my identity. It's inclusive.

"Happy Holidays" includes everyone, it doesn't exclude Christmas.

And, on that note, chag sameach, ya filthy animals.