9 Showtunes To Start Your Day Off Right

9 Showtunes To Start Your Day Off Right

WERK!

26
9 Showtunes To Start Your Day Off Right

Fun fact: I love theater. While performing isn’t my strong suit, watching and becoming totally immersed in worlds painted for me onstage, live and in action, is. And listening to soundtrack after soundtrack is. And putting on one-woman shows is. The list goes on.

Ninety-eight percent of the time, I’ve got show tunes on my mind or spilling out through my earphones. And they, more than any other genre of music, are so dance- and jam-worthy. For the car, to wash dishes, to get out of bed in the morning and face the day.

There is a never-ending supply where this list came from, but below you’ll find ten of my favorite musical theater must-move tracks.

1. “I Got Life” - "Hair" (Revival Cast Album)

It’s true: you do. Gavin Creel leads this jiving number through simplicity and a bumpin’ beat. Nothing gets you out of bed or more revved for the day than reminding yourself that you have life, because you are made up of life, and have so much to give to anyone and anything that you come across during the day.

2. “Hair” - "Hair"

The song is a call to arms for hair “down to here, down to there… down to where it stops by itself.” We don’t all have or want to have hair that long, but it’s a feel good song to dance around to when you’re freshening your ‘do in the morning. Or when you’re not; it doesn’t lose its charm. No matter where you are or what you’re doing, you won’t be able to listen without reaching for your locks.

3. “The Schuyler Sisters” - "Hamilton"

Like everyone, I cannot and will not get enough of Lin Manuel Miranda’s sheer brilliance in creating "Hamilton." I could reasonably list every song here, but instead I will say: Go listen to the entire album and hear the wonder for yourself.

This has become one of my favorites on the soundtrack, especially because my sister and I will throw it on and (try to) embrace the fierceness of Angelica, Eliza and Peggy Schuyler. They praise New York (truly one of the greatest cities in the world), but mostly they praise themselves and I think it’s important for all of us to have that feeling every day. Werk as you should!

4. “Guns N’ Ships” - "Hamilton"

Just do yourself a favor and learn the words to this. It’ll rev the blood in your veins and force you to dance around whilst rapping with yourself about Marquis de Lafayatte. Genius lies herein, and it will never leave your head.

5. “My Junk” - "Spring Awakening"

A classic teenage anthem about love. Not unrequited; just hidden away from the romantic interest, kept in the dark so as not to find themselves hurt by the effects. More so, the show is set in Germany in 1891, where parents and professors were unwilling to expose children and students to their sexuality, its wonders and its terrors.

Set to upbeat music and professed with all of our inner romantic in mind, it’s one to sing along to with a hairbrush (if you’re into that. If you aren’t, well, try it on for size in the car and it’ll be just as fun).

6. “Corner of the Sky” - "Pippin"

I’VE GOT TO BEEEE, WHERE MY SPIRIT CAN RUN FREEEE. end quote.

This song gives me all the motivation to venture out and find adventure in the smallest places. I’m a strong believer in making today the best day ever, and playing this song brings that to life. There’s no second to be wasted, and on one listen you’ll be ready to make a hill of a mound and sing of how alive it is. Be happy, be wild, be you-tiful. (I warned you).

7. “Not For the Life of Me” - "Thoroughly Modern Millie"

Millie expresses similar sentiments as “Corner of the Sky.” Except she specifies her corner as New York, which I 100 percent support. If that isn’t the place you’ve prepared for, this song will bring that out for you in vivid colors and wide brushstrokes. Whether you’re starting a new chapter of life (school, work, going abroad, moving to a new place), vacationing or beginning the week, this is a good one to get you going and remind you of the blank slate that lies ahead. So, go! And don’t turn back!

8. “Wig in a Box” - "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"

I’m sure it holds true for many (certainly does for me) that getting ready for the day involves imagination. We are transformed even in just splashing water on our face after waking up. "Hedwig" deals deeply with transformation and acceptance of oneself/others, and “Wig in a Box” is one jam that never tires you of that idea—even in the simplest of ways. I like putting on some makeup to it.

9. “Dancing Through Life” – "Wicked"

I don’t think this one needs much of an explanation. The meaning behind the lyrics may not be the most inspiring (in Fiyero’s not wanting to bother with school or things that require a lot of effort) but the message retains quality: don’t worry about the small stuff, especially when you can’t control it. Just dance, it’ll be okay. Da-da-do-do.

Now, run for ’em!