Nike's Plus-Size Mannequin Has Become A Plus-Size Issue On Social Media
Currently

The London Nike store has been introduced to plus size mannequins to display their plus-size line and many people are unhappy.

284
Nike

The Nike store on Oxford Street in London has been renovating its women's athletic department. This past week, they installed plus-size mannequins in their retail space. The sportswear brand, like other brands in 2019, is moving toward more inclusivity. But not everyone is happy with how the brand has approached the issue.

Back in 2017, Nike released a plus-size line featuring sizes that range 1X-3X. The brand wanted to tell a narrative that was different from other sportswear, bigger women can be into fitness, it's not just a thin thing. These mannequins are supposed to be another step in that direction.

Many can say that fitness wear has never been size inclusive. They display some "ideal" body type that people, such as myself, have been fixated on since first seeing it. I'm not a super thin girl, but I always wanted to look like the thin, fit girls did in other brands' advertising.

A writer for the Telegraph said that the mannequins were promoting obesity instead of promoting health. There is a huge number of people who are against the "fat acceptance" movement, which is really people trying to accept the body they have. In the article, it also says that the "dangerous lie" Nike is selling is damaging to women. The things people are writing about a mannequin is crazy. They talk about this like it is a real person, "She cannot run... she is more likely pre-diabetic."

Nike is just trying to do more for representing everyone, not just those who are skinny. On the road to losing weight or trying to feel comfortable in your own body, it is so difficult to only see the end goal on models and mannequins. I think TeenVogue says it best: "there's truly no one size fits all in fashion". Looks like that's right for all types of fashion, including sportswear. Plus, how am I supposed to lose weight if no work out clothes fit?

I think we can agree that a good percentage of the world is overweight, whether it be from our food or lack of exercise or our tedious jobs taking full control over every waking second. A lot of us don't have the time or discipline to work out, or even know how. I've been trying my best to make myself get up and work out. (I've had a lot of help from my boyfriend in figuring out an exercise plan for me that works.) But sometimes life gets in the way and you don't have the time. Work out gear should be cute and help you feel confident on your weight journey or healthy lifestyle.

I guess it's just how you look at it. Whether you think that it reflects more of the population that gets to be seen, or promotes a dangerous idea of normalizing being overweight. One thing is for sure, as more brands move with the wave of inclusivity, the more controversy we will see surrounding the brands. Which might be what they want, just us talking about them.