International Nicknames
Health Wellness

Nicknames From Around The World

Siri, how do you say "love" in 7000 languages?

221
Nicknames From Around The World
https://unsplash.com/photos/VVgVlH1D10U

While some name-calling is mean and can be used by bullies to obtain the unfulfilling satisfaction of tearing others down, most of it done by our family and friends is done out of love. These loving nicknames have always been around, and are a sign of appreciation or closeness with another. They help develop unbreakable bonds, and can make a person feel special knowing that they have a name only they are known by. It's interesting to see how these names have developed over time in different cultures, and it is even more amazing to respect and show appreciation for them. Here is a list of some interesting ones found:

1) Spanish

Esé - homeboy

Pollito - means "small chicken," but is basically calling a person cute or adorable

Vato - dude, man, guy

Primo - "cousin," but can be used to call a close friend "family"

Jefe - "boss"

Chulo/a - cutie

Mi amado - my beloved

2) French

Mon chéri - honey

Belle Gueule - good-looking guy

Mon Frère - "my brother," can be used for a very close friend

Frérot - bro

Ma Poule - my sweetheart

Mon Enclume - "anvil," used for someone who means a lot to you

Sucre d'Or - a sweet girl

Papouille - a girl you like to cuddle

Mon Chou - honey

3) Gaelic (Irish)

Mo chuisle (muh KHUSH-leh) - my pulse

Mo chroí (muh KHREE) - my heart

A chara (uh KHAR-uh) - friend

A stór (uh STORE) - my treasure

A leanbh (uh LAN-uv) - my child

Is ceoul mo chroí thú (Is cyoal mu khree who) - You're the music of my heart

4) German

Putzig - cute

Röschen - rose

Sonnenblümchen - sunflower

Honigbeine - intended for a sweet girl, means "Honeybee"

Hase - Bunny

Mausbär - mousebear

Honigkuchenpferd - Honey Cupcake horse

Schnecke - Snail (loving nickname in Germany)

Perle - Pearl

Cariad - sweetheart

5) Dutch

Schat - sweetie

Snoepje - candy

Lieve/liefje - dear

Dropje - Licorice drop

Lekker din - delicious thing

6) Favorites

Tibetan

Nyingdu-la - most honored poison of my heart

Dutch

Mijn poepie - my little poopsie

Portuguese

Paixão - passion

Persian

Moosh bokhoradet - means "may a mouse eat you," you are even tinier and cuter than mouse

Italian

Microbino mio - "my little microbe," again with the tiny nicknames

Chinese

沉鱼落雁 (chényú luòyàn) - means "diving fish, swooping geese"

There is a little backstory for this name. Xi Shi, labeled the most beautiful woman in Chinese history, looked at fish in a pool and they forgot to swim. Wang Zhaojun, another beautiful woman, made geese forget to flap their wings when they saw her. This nickname is calling the receiver a combination of the two beauties.