My Newest Obsession: TED Talks

My Newest Obsession: TED Talks

Ideas worth spreading.

44
My Newest Obsession: TED Talks
QuotesGram

Recently I have been reintroduced to TED Talks. For those who don't know, TED—or Technology, Entertainment, Design as is its acronym—is a conference where renowned speakers come to share ideas about anything and everything. They are usually given about 20 minutes to give a concise and precise message about a certain topic, thus penning the name "TED Talk" for each speaker's message. These talks are educational, inspirational, innovative, funny, sobering, eye-opening...and everything in between.

I have heard and seen TED Talks before, and thought they were great, but they didn't really stick with me. I knew they were all archived on their website, so I could always find them again.

Well, I found them again...and love it. Right now, I watch the talks while I'm at work, kind of as background noise. Granted, I can't always watch, but when I can, it's great. I am really appreciating being able to look at the variety of topics covered, know what's available, but focus on what interests me most.

There's so much packed in a short amount of time, so you're engaged and focused throughout the entirety of their message. It's really mentally stimulating being exposed to so many things—whether you agree with a speaker or not. There are talks that I watch where the title sparks my interest, I watch and realize I don't agree with what the speaker is saying. Or maybe I'll agree with 50 percent of what they're talking about.

Regardless, it is a great opportunity to learn and establish your understanding of yourself and the world around you. The educational impact, and the opportunity for healthy discussion is what makes this so fantastic.

So with that in mind, here are five TED talks (in no particular order) that I personally really enjoy, and I think you might too.

1. My Journey from Marine to Actor by Adam Driver

Adam Driver is most well-known for being Lena Dunham's jerk boyfriend on the HBO show "Girls" and as Kylo Ren in "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." He is incredibly open and inspiringly articulate in explaining his journey from the Military to Hollywood. He is real and transparent, while also highlighting his establishment for his great charity, Arts In The Armed Forces. Just a heads up on this one: he talks for half of it, followed by an acting excerpt to provide an example of what his charity provides.

2. 10 Ways To Have a Better Conversation by Celeste Headlee

This writer and radio host goes into 10 ways of making someone more effective in a conversation. As a Communication major I think this is incredibly fascinating and I truly believe, that as a collective society, we have lost the art of having great conversations.

3. My Year of Saying Yes To Everything by Shonda Rhimes

This self-proclaimed titan who is responsible for hits such as "Grey's Anatomy" and "Scandal," brings us into her world and explains her journey and growth by saying yes to playtime with her three daughters. You learn about her "hum" and work ethic by her effective eloquence and drive.

4. The Secret to Desire in a Long-Term Relationship by Esther Perel

This Psychotherapist talks about the "mystery of erotic intelligence." It goes into our needs in relationships—security and surprise—and how that works in a longer, committed partnership.

5. Inside The Mind of a Master Procrastinator by Tim Urban

This one is really funny, especially since I too am a procrastinator. Whether you risk your deadlines or not, it's hysterical and a good way to see how he explains the mind of a "master procrastinator."

Bonus: TED's Secret to Great Public Speaking

This one isn't an official talk at a conference, but it's wonderful and applies to most everyone, whether you like public speaking or not.

So check out the talks here, get the TED app or listen on the Apple Podcasts app, to learn more. No matter what topic, TED Talks are wonderful, opening the door to endless education.