The New York State of Mind

The New York State of Mind

A Girlfriend's Guide to College

25

New York is the city of dreams; I sometimes take for granted the fact that I live in this opportunity filled place that people all over the world LITERALLY dream about: the skyscrapers, bright lights of time square, business people walking cross park avenue, and opportunities.

Manhattan is best experienced at the Top of the Rock viewing deck. I often visit this place with my friends that live in the United States and it serves to be a great way to feel immersed in the city while above all of the hustle and bustle. My visit to the Top of the Rock over break was different than my other visits, though. I went to my favorite place with a friend visiting from South America and the experience of going to my same favorite place but with someone who dreamed of New York reminded me how blessed I am to not only be an American, but live in New York and experience the New York State of Mind every day.

Hearing my friend explain his love for New York and the fortunate feelings he had for being there really put the idea in my mind that I need to be more thankful for the fact that I live in this opportunity filled place. Perhaps going to Top of the Rock with a friend just who was just visiting New York and experiencing the awe in his eyes and the amazement he was feeling when seeing this beautiful city from a skyscraper view, made me realize for a moment that it is so important to realize the blessing I have to live in New York.

Looking out on the fabulous city that I am lucky to live in from the top of the Rockefeller building as the sun was setting on the tall skyscrapers, was a moment I will not forget and that I remind myself of when I am stressed with school work and wrapped up in my own life. We are all a part of the hustle and bustle of our own lives, that we forget to recognize the fact that we live in a country, and for me a city, that most people can only dream about. It is important not to take this for granted.