The Dos And Don’ts Of Visiting New York, Spoken By A True New Yorker

At the end of the day, this is a dirty, smelly, overcrowded city, and as unappealing as that may sound, you'll learn to love it.

127
Elena Del Favero

New York City welcomes over 60 million visitors every year. After all, what's not to love about New York ? There's something for everyone: the foodie, the adventurer, the shopper, the businessman, and contrary to popular belief, the occasional sloth. For someone born and bred in this great city, avoiding tourist traps is second nature. I don't approach the Empire State building within a five ft radius, and Times Square is nothing but a reliable subway transfer. I don't blame visitors for wanting to visit these iconic spots, but to me, they don't give an accurate representation of New York. Here are my tips to get the best out of your visit (in no particular order):

1. ​​Don't​ ​Blame The Subway System.

Europeans love to shit all over our subway system, but it's actually not that complicated. Granted, it's not the cleanest, but come to think of it, is it that much better than a cab, which might I add, is a repurposed police car? Don't be alarmed if the M train is running on the F track, just look at the handy maps posted just about EVERYWHERE. This is a common occurrence, especially on the weekends, because they are the most useful lines. 70% of the time, you'll still be taken to the same destination, so yes, it is completely normal that four lines run on the same track, just make sure you're going in the right direction. It isn't an inhumane task.

2. Do Act Like a New Yorker.

New Yorkers aren't afraid to be rude, and if you don't give them the same treatment, they'll understand you're a tourist, and possibly be even more rude. The occasional shove is not against you, it's our nature, so don't pick a fight, all you'll get is a snarky comment. If you need some help navigating the city, don't ask someone as the subway doors are closing, or if they're wearing earphones. Read the room. The group of teenage girls will often give you reliable information, or ask the cops swarming the stations, they don't bite.

3. Don't Go To Smorgasburg.

I know this isn't purely a New York thing, but I have to put it out there. I have given Smorgasburg many chances, and I can't vouch for it. It's overcrowded, the lines get very long, and you end up spending way more money than you need to. Just about any spot in the city is bound to be packed on a sunny Saturday, but Smorgasburg is by far the most overwhelming. Brooklyn has so much to offer, especially DUMBO, which is no secret, so dedicate your time to discovering the nooks and crannies instead. You'll find incredible murals, cheap thrift stores, and amazing views. Skip the line at Grimaldi's Pizza and go next door to Juliana's. People tend to ignore this little spot, but you're more likely to get served quickly, and it's debated to be better… I would agree.

4. Do Plan in Advance. 

The goal is to beat the crowd. Don't call the system stupid when you show up to Hudson Yards and get told to come back in two hours. It's best to buy tickets for just about anything online: you'll get the most information there, and you'll most likely skip the daunting lines. Make restaurant reservations in different parts of the city, and just cancel the ones you don't end up attending. It's easy to loose track of time, or run out of energy unexpectedly, so be prepared. The city is swarming with hangry locals and tourists, be the clever one, not the one arguing with the hostess and holding up the line.

5. Don’t Do Your Shopping In Times Square. 

I get it. You've never been to New York, you need that picture in the middle of Times Square. Go at night on a weeknight and just use it as a photo op. You'll find the same stores just about anywhere in New York, so don't go through the pain of spending the day in Times Square, it'll drain you. If you're looking for the full experience, you're probably going to see a show on Broadway. Don't make a day out of it. Remember that we know this is home to tourists, so you're also more likely to get overcharged.

6. Do Eat At The Grimy Looking Pizza Spot.

It's not unsanitary, it's just old, and usually, it's the tastiest. New York pizza is a cheap eat and guaranteed to be satisfying, so don't waste your time and money at the highest rated, overcrowded places. The random pizzeria squished between a deli and a Duane Reade is a done deal. You'll often see construction workers there, which is a good sign. If it's good enough for locals, it's definitely good enough for you. Just don't order the pasta.

7. Don’t Skip On Korea Town. 

You'll find the best food here. From desserts, to snacks, to full on Korean barbecue, you'll have it all in a 3 block radius. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing spot, but it's definitely worth it. You'll also find the same stores you can find just about anywhere, like Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, Zara, you get the vibe, and I find them to be less crowded than in Times Square or SoHo. This part of Manhattan is composed of small, tight looking spots that are actually huge inside, you just have to be brave enough to enter. This is also where you'll find hidden trendy foods, like sushi donuts, churro rings, and the waffle truck.

8. Do Take In The City Views. 

You don't need a packed ferry ride or a trip to the top of the Empire State Building to see the city at its full potential. Walk along the East River, take the cable car to Roosevelt Island, or visit the Whitney Museum. Dare I say skip the art, ride the elevator to the top floor, and walk down the outside staircase to enjoy the view. You can feel swallowed by the impressive skyline just about anywhere in the city, so don't settle for the obvious choices. And please, don't hesitate to be that person stopped in the middle of Park Avenue taking photos.

9. Don’t Go To Coney Island. 

Just trust me on this one. If you wanted to go to an amusement park, you would've gone to Orlando. If you wanted to go to the beach, you would've gone just about anywhere else. Oh, and Nathan's hot dogs can be consumed in many, many other places. Skip the extensive and unpleasant trip.

10. Do Go To H&H

Everything you knew and thought you knew about bagels is about to change. You can get a good New York bagel in countless places around the city, and they're all good, but I must admit that H&H is no hoax. For all you Europeans out there, all a bagel needs is cream cheese, in copious amounts, and lox, please don't question it.