10 New Years Resolutions So Easy A Monkey Can Do Them This Year

Do something different. Make a change.

39
unsplash.com

At the beginning of each year, people go all out trying to make New Year's Resolutions and to stick with them. Each year it's probably the same resolutions as last year like, working out a few times a week, eating healthier, getting a new job, or whatever other common things people tend to work towards in their lives. The problem with this is that we dwell on all of these common, repeating resolutions without really thinking if this is what we need to do to better ourselves.

I feel like there is so much going on around the world that this year's resolutions could make a change instead of just affecting yourself for like three months. Let's face it, you're not going to go to the gym all year. You'll probably last until the end of February and give up. This list can be more inspiring and different to those who really want to make a change in their lives. Here are a few of them:

1. Be more compassionate

With all that is going on in the world, and all of the hurt and pain that is shared, it's time for us to be more compassionate towards other human beings. We should live in harmony with the people around us, not spreading hate and becoming hypocrites. The world may not owe us a thing, but we owe the world and the people we share it with some compassion for each other.

2. Be more accepting

Between our own beliefs and others, many people turn an ignorant eye and become hateful to those that believe differently than us. That's not what you should do. Learn to accept that not everyone will be just like you or think just like you. That's the beauty in being unique and different from one another. And it doesn't even have to be about beliefs. Be more accepting to the things life brings your way.

3. Focus on your career

At my age, I see a lot of people floating around, getting married, having kids, dropping out of school, and jumping from one job to the next. My advice? Focus on your career path and yourself. Sure love happens and so do kids, but if you want to live a successful live and have your life together before bringing others in the picture, a good option is to start on your path and dedicating time to get your dream job.

4. Become healthier, not just thinner

A lot of times, you'll see people have the resolution to get thinner or to lose weight, Well that's fine, but don't just focus on your weight. Learn to become healthier in every way possible. Mental health is very important, if not more important than physical health. Finding strength in yourself and getting the help you need, whether it be a therapist, or medication, or just someone to talk to, is a big step in becoming healthier and more aware of yourself and your body. Mind comes first.

5. Get out of your comfort zone

Do something daring and bold. Get out there and go to the movies and a dinner by yourself if social settings scare you. Go skydiving, or rock climbing, or even something really simple like talking to your crush. Just don't live your life in regret and fear because of things you never allowed yourself to enjoy. It's a great way to learn about yourself.

6. Do something new every day for at least a month

This kind of goes along with the last one, but seriously, don't waste time! Have fun and do amazing things. Life is too short to live the same boring routine every day. Appreciate life and what it has to offer by exploring it yourself.

7. Date around

Do not settle. I repeat, DO NOT SETTLE! Just because you are in love with someone now does not mean you will be one month from now. I'm not saying to dump your partner and shimmy up next to their best friend, but don't let one relationship dictate what you want and what you think you deserve. You will never know what you want until you date around and learn from experience what works best for you and what doesn't.

8. GO TO CLASS! GET THAT DEGREE!

The more I'm in college the harder it is for me to focus. I mean come on, who wants to keep going to school everyday for four more years? But that doesn't matter. College isn't for everyone, but if it is for and you've worked damn hard to get accepted and to take all these classes for your future, then you better continue to work hard. It doesn't get easier, but why waste your dreams and money on something you are not going to do wholeheartedly? Keep your focus and get that degree. You deserve it.

9. Educate yourself

This is probably one of the most important ones to add to your list this year. There is an entire world in our hands filled with all of the information that you can imagine and people are taking advantage of it. There is a lot of things that school or life doesn't teach us, but that's why the rest is left up to us to teach ourselves. Learn about all the different religions, or teach yourself a new language, or about archaeology, or geology. It may seem pointless, but at least you are learning and are not leaving yourself ignorant. Knowledge is around us that is waiting to be learned.

10. Be yourself

Most importantly, just be yourself. Don't change for anyone but you and don't let others or social media keep you from being the person you want to be. As long as it brings no harm or hatefulness towards others, be free to master your own mind and love yourself for who you are. Who you are to yourself is important and that's what matters most.

This new year can be a new year to learn about yourself and ways to learn about others. Don't take the love and compassion we have for granted. Use it. And give hope to others and yourself that people and the world can change for the better. So put up your scales and gym memberships and start working on bettering the important things in life.