New Year's Resolutions Can Go Beyond Fitness Goals

Make the resolution to practice gratitude in 2020.

7
Katherine Yochum

As an annual ritual, when the new year rolls around, everyone begins to propose how they will make changes to their life in order to live better. From working out to beginning a new hobby (or several) and making it a habit, there are a variety of ways one can work on themselves under the idea of a fresh calendar start.

2020 is more than just a new year, however. The start of this year marks the beginning of a new decade. 10 years ago, I was 10 years old, and so much about my life was completely and utterly different. I was living in Minnesota, hadn't begun playing field hockey or lacrosse, hadn't met some of my best friends, hadn't driven a car, hadn't graduated from elementary, middle, or high school, and hadn't attended college. The differences in my life between the last time a new decade had begun, to now, just prove how much can change in 10 years.

As the year moves on, however, these goals become more of a burden or a reminder of another thing we have to do. What starts out as an inspirational set of goals turns into an obligation. This turn of events, from lofty, motivating goals to burdensome obligations, is one that proves how non-resolute many new years' resolutions are.

I saw a quote a while ago that completely changed my outlook on goals and productivity in general. This quote is one that most people have heard of, whether it be from their mom, a friend or an inspirational poster in a classroom at some point in their lives. "I get to, not I have to."

Oftentimes, in goals like new years' resolutions, and in everyday life, we view our responsibilities, our to-do lists, and our jobs as a burden. Instead of marveling at how lucky we are to get to attend college and earn a degree, to get to work, to have all of these incredible opportunities to chase our dreams. A simple change in perspective, a shift in our gratitude, can give us an entirely different purpose in our daily lives.

We get to do things, not have to.

Yes, you have things due. Yes, you have to be here at a certain time, you have to do this before then and apply for that sooner rather than later. These time limits can seem full of pressure and expectation if you look at them with worry and fear rather than excitement and anticipation. If there is anything I have learned in the past twenty years of my life, it is that in order for something to be everything it could have the potential to be, you must give it your all, and make the most of it.

We get to do things, and those things are so full of potential that it really is impossible to not look forward to them.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." (Robert Brault)