My New Year's Resolution

My New Year's Resolution

This is a resolution that I feel like every stressed-out college student needs to consider this year.

26
My New Year's Resolution
Meagan Hoard

Christmas has passed, which means that the new year is upon us! That also means that it's the season for "New Year's Resolutions." In other words, it's time to set unrealistic goals that are doomed to fail as soon as we come up with them- or is it? Here is one New Year's resolution that I think every college student could strive for:

Set Aside "Me" Time.

It is way too easy to get wrapped up in our day-to-day activities and forget about the things that give us the most pleasure. "Isn't this just a way of saying "treat yo' self?" Yes, yes it is. "I don't have time to "treat myself; I have too many other things to do!" Guess what, me and you both! However, this year I learned that not allowing myself to enjoy the simplest moments in life has deprived me of passion. I can't honestly tell you what I am passionate about at this very moment. You might think you know, but once you stop and consider the question, what comes to mind? Studying, sleep, exercise? Those are the first three things that pop into my head, or rather how I am balancing those three things. I would like to say that I am passionate for the Lord, but that's something I am continually striving for everyday, and some days are much better than others.

But I mean besides the basic components of my life- Christianity, school, exercise, and friends/family, what specifically brings me joy? I can't think of any specific "hobby" or activity that gives me pure bliss and peace anymore. In my down time, I study. Or I catch up with my parents. I don't have the "thing"; you know, some people love to draw, others love to read their favorite novel in a specific place that they've dedicated as their "happy place." I don't even know what my favorite novel would be. Ask me my favorite musician, and I couldn't tell you. I haven't taken the time to listen to anyone enough to claim them as my favorite. I'm not even sure what my favorite music genre is. What's my favorite movie? I don't know. Who is my favorite author? Beats me. I have let stress and the compilation of responsibilities consume so much of my time that I'm not even sure who I am as an individual apart from school.

This year, I want to set aside "me" time. I want to try new things, find out what I love and loathe, and take advantage of new opportunities. I want to read a classic book or reread novels that I remember enjoying at one point. I want to rediscover my love for Britney Spears, or listen to an entire Twenty One Pilots album and see how I react. I want to watch classic chick flicks and quote every line of Mean Girls. I want to take time out of my crazy schedule and reminisce on the things that made me the happiest while growing up, but also discover new things that bring me joy. I need to make more time for "Meagan, the individual" and stop allowing the label "college student" define my identity. Who am I, really? I hope to find out in 2017.