10 New Year's Resolutions

10 New Year's Resolutions And How To Stick To Them

New year, new you.

11

Every year, many people create a list of goals to accomplish during the year and most of the time those goals fall through. Whether it be lack of motivation, knowledge, or just falling back into old habits, the goals just seem to die easy. However, all goals should be accomplished, no matter how big or small. Each goal is hard at first but becomes easier every day. The only catch is, you have to do it every day.

1. Get Fit/ Start Working Out

Working out is easy. what makes it hard is getting to where you want to be. If you don't work out often, you could start walking for thirty minutes everyday at a designated time. Once you're used to this you can begin working out in different ways like jogging or lifting or whatever you want. Working out at a certain time of day helps train your brain to think that you are supposed to be active at the time you choose.

Create a workout plan. You can create a workout plan for a day, a week, a month or the whole year. Stick to your workout and your rest days. You can start by working out three or four days a week and add workouts on rest days when you feel like doing so.

Hire a personal trainer. This is a person who will motivate you, educate you, and push you to your limits. Having a trainer is helpful for commitment and knowledge when starting out.

Have a workout buddy. Having a workout buddy helps keep both parties motivated. Hold each other accountable and create fun workouts to do.

2. Eat Healthier

With the internet at our fingertips, we can teach ourselves almost anything.

Search for healthy recipes. Make healthier meals for yourself. Buying lots of healthier food can be a bit more expensive but you can always make a stir-fry with ramen noodles, mixed vegetables and a sauce of your choosing!

Wean yourself from unhealthy snacks. There are many charts on the internet that explain why you're craving a certain food and fruits to eat when you have the craving rather than grabbing a less healthy option. Stock your pantry with dried fruit rather than candy and learn how to make some tasty snacks.

You can also try different types of meat like more chicken, turkey burgers instead of beef, and even fish. You can also venture out and try different butters like almond butter.

There is more than one way to make it. No matter what it is. If you think vegetables are gross, try preparing them a different way. Try different spreads and sauces. The sky is the limit!

3. Quit Smoking

Quitting an addiction of any kind is a difficult thing to do. You must have willpower and motivation to overcome withdrawal symptoms but it can be done.

Wean yourself. You can give yourself only certain times to smoke like whenever you go to work. Be cautious when doing this because if you're trying to quit, you don't want to Pavlov yourself. Spread your smoke breaks throughout the day rather than at very specific times like after a meal. Otherwise, your body will crave it because you've trained yourself to smoke at that time.

Give yourself a certain amount that you want to smoke in a day. For example, tell yourself you'll only smoke one cigarette or 100 puffs. This method will at least help cut down the smoking to where you want to be. You could also tell yourself how long a pack or a bottle of juice will last and stick to it.

Get nicotine gum or patches. These may help when you're experiencing withdrawals but are able to resist a cigarette.

4. Save Money

Do not buy things that you don't need.

Open a savings account that is specifically for what you are saving for and do not take money out of it.

If you know someone who is good with money, ask them to mentor you.

Pick a dollar bill ($1,$5, $10, etc.) and save each one you get in a piggy bank until the end of the year!

When you get your paycheck, save the hundreds and stretch the tens until the next pay day.

Sell items you no longer use or need.

5. Read More Books

Read a book that a movie was based on.

Check out Good Reads or find a list of books that fit your interests.

Pick a book from your reading list and read one book each week.

6. No More Procrastinating

Once you get an assignment, complete it before the due date.

If you remember that you have to do something, do it while you're thinking about it.

If you have other priorities such as playing video games or watching your favorite TV show, limit yourself to one episode or or one hour, then do what you need to get done.

At least start what you need to do before you go to bed. Then, you can pick up where you left off.

7. Be More Positive

Leave positive notes for yourself. Write down motivating messages or your favorite quotes on sticky notes and put them in a place that you look every day.

Think about the brighter side of the situation. This can be hard to do but there is always something positive that comes out of a situation. If you can't think of anything good, talk to someone about it and see what their perspective is.

Think of people as human beings. This can drastically change your mindset. If you think of people as anything other than human beings it becomes easy to desensitize yourself.

Hang out with people who always think positively. People with happy mindsets usually have no problem in helping others feel happier. You might also pick up some of their habits.

Get rid of toxic entities. If social media makes you feel bad about yourself, get rid of it. Whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it.

Don't let petty things ruin your day. There is no need getting angry over things that you can't control. Like if your order takes a little longer than usual to be delivered to you. If you begin to get upset over something, think to yourself "should I be mad about this?"

If you need to rant, then rant. It helps relieve the anger. It also helps if you throw in a few jokes.

Be Confident

If you are not at all confident, pretend to be confident. The more you pretend, the less it feels like pretending. Fake it til you make it.

Wear the clothes you want to wear.

Do not pay attention to what other people might think of you. Odds are, the people you think are looking at you, aren't paying attention at all. If you look good and you feel good, the day is yours.

Remember that people are people and everyone is awkward sometimes. No one is looking at you, and its okay to pick up the change you dropped. You're okay.

9. Explore New Hobbies

If there is something that you find interesting, take part in it. You could make it your goal to try one new thing every week or so. Like taking a class, painting something, or trying DIY projects. Or if you're looking to travel more, plan a trip fpr every month. You can go somewhere local or across the globe. Hobbies are for leisure so don't stress about this New Year resolution.

10. Less Screen Time

Limit yourself to a couple hours on the internet or on the TV.

Take walks and enjoy nature instead.

Go to local events or places that you want to check out.

Do fun things with your friends. Experience the things you see on social media rather than just read about it.