New Medicare Supplement Plans Are Available No

17

If you decide to enroll in Original Medicare, purchasing a supplemental insurance policy - or Medisupps - will help you cover additional costs that the program does not cover. Medisupps plan options set by the federal government will change by 2020, but only for people who qualify for Medicare for the first time in January.

Private insurers sell Medisupps policies, which are strictly regulated by the states and the federal government. These plans are available to people enrolled in Medicare Plans A and B, but not to Medicare Advantage Plan holders. Medisupps plans pay for expenses such as deductibles, copayments, and other fees that Medicare does not cover.

In 2010, the federal government certified the types of Medisupps plans, creating 10 options: A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M and N. Beginning in January, there will be two comprehensive projects and the popular C and F will not be sold to people who are newly eligible for the program. Because in 2015, Congress decided to ban Medisupps from covering the annual Part B cut for physician visits and other outpatient services.

Currently, 10 Medisupps, C, and F plans pay for that reduction, which was $ 185 in 2019 (the Centers for Medicare and Medisupps Services have not yet announced cuts for 2020). The difference between the C and F plans is that 15% C does not cover the additional fees that non-Medicare physicians charge patients; Plan F does.

Receive similar content, subscribe to our newsletter

Plan G is more similar to Plan F. It covers everything that f covers except B deductible. And Plan D is more similar to Plan C. It covers everything that C covers except for cuts. Part B and the additional fees that non-participating physicians charge their Medicare beneficiary patients.

Plan F is widely reported to be "phased out," says Casey Schwarz, senior adviser to the federal education and policy center at the Medicare Rights Center. "That change caused a lot of panics," he says. "For people enrolled in C&F projects, I think it's important to note that nothing will change."

But individuals who do not enter the 65th year after January 1 or who are disabled after that day and wish to purchase the Medisupps plan will not be able to join Plan C or F. Have those plans for current Medicare beneficiaries and anyone who meets Medicare requirements before January 1.

If you think Medisupp's policy is right for you, here is some basic information you need to know to make your decision.

Key

And this is very important. When you first enroll in Medicare (ie, a seven-month initial enrollment period), the insurer offering Medisupps policies will not deny you coverage or charge you a pre-existing condition. After that, anything goes. For example, if you do not buy a Medisupps policy during your initial enrollment period, but you decide you want one after a year, the insurer may reject you based on your health status, or they may set higher prices because of illness. Pre-existing. How it works varies by state. "The most important thing is for people to check what their rights are in their state," Schwarz emphasized.

Message: When you first enroll in Medicare, it's time to buy it to make sure you have consistent, consistent Medicare coverage for many years.

Your choices

To compare your Medisupps plan options, visit www.medicare.gov, and under the Supplemental Insurance tab, click How do I compare Medisupps policies. There you can see the details in a single graph.

Do not be confused by the name of the policies. Character designations for Medisupps policies have nothing to do with the Medicare program you choose.

Because Medisupps plans are certified, one insurer selling plan A or F is the same as another insurer selling plan A or F. Medisupps plans have their own quality policies in all states except Massachusetts, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

So how are the 10 policies different? "Some have higher deductibles, some require higher cost sharing, and some have higher costs," explains Mary Meeler, life and health manager for Missouri Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration. He advises clients to "assess their personal situation as to which plan meets their needs and what plan they can afford."

What should you focus on?

The government comparison table shows 10 different healthcare costs that may be covered under the Medisupps policy. Some are more relevant than others, so you should focus on the most expensive services. These include:

20% of the cost of a doctor's visit

20% of your cost for laboratory tests and other outpatient services

Whenever you are hospitalized, you should deduct

Partnership costs for hospitalization, or stay in special care facilities after discharge from the hospital

There are other considerations as well. For example, if other projects include a 100% Part B partnership, the K&L plans have a higher share of costs, but also a limit to out-of-pocket costs. Once you pay that amount, they pay 100% of the service for the rest of the year. For 2019, the limit for Plan K is $ 5,560, and the limit for Plan L is 7 2,780. Depending on inflation, these limits increase every year.

Remember, medications prescribed by Medisupps do not cover shades, dental, vision, or most things that do not include Original Medicare.

In general, Medisupps Plan F is the most popular because it is the most comprehensive. There are actually two F plans, and one of them has more cuts. So thoroughly study each option.

How much does it cost you?

The average premium for the most popular Medisupps F plan costs 6 326 per month nationwide. There is also a high deductible (like 3 2,300 for 2019) F plan and the premium is an estimated $ 68 per month. Premiums are based on three different pricing systems and can vary greatly depending on where you live.

Community Eligibility: All insured persons who have this policy regardless of age will be charged the same monthly premium.

Age Rating - This premium is based on your age when you first purchase the policy. If you are young, the initial premium is low. No future premium increases will depend on your age.

Age Eligibility Achieved: This premium is initially based on your current age, but may increase over the years.

Experts suggest asking the insurer what pricing system they will use before buying a Medisupps policy. That way, you will know whether to expect an increase as you get older.

Finally, what should you consider?

Miller suggests that clients contact their state's insurance department before signing up to make sure the agent and company that sells the policy are licensed by the state. You can also find a record of the company's complaints. Each state has a state health insurance assistance program (SHIP) where they help you find this information.

And remember: Changing your Medisupps policy can be difficult. Look at the policy last and make sure it covers not only your current needs but also the needs you may have in the future.