netflix you

Netflix's 'You' Reminds Us that Social Media Kind of Sucks

Your social media is not that important...especially if you end up dying because of it.

4

I've started watching one of the creepiest shows on Netflix, and it's safe to say that I'm terrified of social media. I always knew that social media was a double-edged sword, but 'You' shows the worst side of it that can happen to anybody.

Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgely) meets Beck (Elizabeth Lail) and falls in love with her. He spins his own tale: that Beck is a beautiful but insecure aspiring writer who doesn't know what's good for her. Joe attempts to be that person to change her life while Beck falls for him because she thinks he's one in a million.

Of course, we cannot forget the stupidity of Beck herself. This character bares everything on social media - everything. It's no wonder that Joe feels intrigued. In fact, for the first part of the show, he doesn't seem to do much wrong because he does what all of us already do: stalk people on their social media.

That's what makes 'You' scary, though. We live in a digital world where half of our lives are spent online. Almost everyone has a mobile device of some sort, and if not, access to a digital medium. In the chaos of accessibility, information gets shared every day to the point that it's almost weird to press the Delete.

'You' shows more than just the dangerous side of baring all on social media as well. The show has garnered some controversy regarding the casting; that Joe is "too hot" and seemingly unfit to be a psychopath. However, that's the point!

Joe Goldberg is an example of what not to trust. He shows that no matter how well you may know someone or how well-meaning they appear, they may be a Joe Goldberg in the making. In such a technological age, you should never fully trust anyone, and hopefully you will think twice before making your profile public for the world - Joe's and non-Joe's - to see.

I'm not telling to delete all your social media and go live under a rock; no, I'm saying it's important to know your limits, and if you don't, to set them. Everyone is fair game to people like Joe, and it's always better to have one less account than to die over it.