The Feel-Good Netflix Shows You Need To Check Out

Everyone loves One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl, but Netflix has so much more to offer.

92

If you are anything like my friends, you probably spend your lazy Sundays with Nathan Scott and Dan Humphrey. These shows tug at the heartstrings and make you eat an entire pint of ice cream to compensate for the emotional hole they have left inside of you. For those of you who prefer a lighter, wittier, companion for your evenings, I give you the following suggestions:

1. Portlandia

SNL’s Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein team up in this sketch-comedy show, giving viewers a humorous view at the various types of people of Portland, Oregon. Hipsters, vegans, gamers… no one escapes the satirical quips of Armisen and Brownstein’s brilliant writing. (Seasons 1-5)

2. BoJack Horseman

I was skeptical when beginning an animated show about a talking horse at the age of 20. I was immediately blown away at the quality of writing an the in-depth look at the humorous, yet depressing life of washed-up actor BoJack Horseman. Though the show is most definitely a comedy, I found myself almost in tears a few times. (Seasons 1 & 2 with a very interesting Christmas special)

3. Grace and Frankie

Legendary actresses Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin star in this all-star comedy following the two women who find out that their husbands have been cheating on them…with each other! Polar opposites of each other, they must rely on one another to survive. This show, filled with some of the funniest one-liners I have ever heard, is perfect for anyone going through a breakup. Girl Power! (Season 1)

4. Freaks and Geeks

The minute you begin to watch Freaks and Geeks you will recognize every single actor in it. This is because, once upon a time, legendary producer Judd Apatow, brought all these rock stars together and Freaks and Geeks as born. The show follows the Weir siblings. Sam, is a member of the “Geeks” and Lindsey is a member of the “Freaks”. For a whole magical season we follow their adventures through high school. Sadly, the show was cancelled after just one season. Many people still consider this one of the biggest mistakes in television history. (Season 1)

5. Californication

Hank Moody is a novelist in sunny Los Angeles. He struggles with the ability to say no, often getting him into trouble with his long-time partner, his agent and countless others. His writer’s block leads him to grow restless, leading him to a wild life of sex, drugs and alcohol. If you are looking to watch the life of a very crazy and handsome man, this show is for you. The writing isn’t too shabby either. (Seasons 1-7)