5 Netflix Shows You Need To Be Watching

5 Netflix Shows You Need To Be Watching

For when your show is canceled, or when you're just bored!

171
5 Netflix Shows You Need To Be Watching

There's always our favorite and go-to staples when we click on Netflix— Stranger Things, Parks and Rec, Law and Order... Shall I go on? But sometimes we need to switch it up. With Netflix adding and removing certain shows and movies, you never know if your fave is going to go next. Or maybe you're just bored of the same-old-same-old. Next time you need some inspiration, check out these five shows you have to see.

1. Disjointed

Nothing to see here, just a little comedy about a pot shop... everyday occurrences, right? Kathy Bates plays a marijuana dispensary owner in California and the show goes through the trials and tribulations of her employees and friends. Bates's character views marijuana as a plant that has the power to both heal and help, and Bates herself shares that same view! Though marijuana is legal for recreational and medicinal use in certain states, we don't see a lot of shows (with the exception of Weediquette and Bong Appetit on Vice) smoking and discussing marijuana. The only downfall is that the comedy can be very slapstick and dry.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

2. The Crown

With the recent release of season two, "The Crown" has skyrocketed back into the mainstream. This series dives into the life of a fledgling queen, Elizabeth II, and those close to her from the mid-1930s to the middle of the late 20th century. In my opinion, Claire Foy (who plays the monarch herself) knows how to convey so much emotion in the smallest, most delicate facial expressions. She and all of the other actors in this series make the show— without them and their talents, I don't believe it would be as iconic as it is. If you're a history buff, you will get sucked into this hardcore. My tip if you're a first-time watcher: know the immediate members of the royal family— if you don't know who is who, it tends to get slightly confusing.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

3. Cooked

Unlike the two previous shows, "Cooked" isn't a typical "show." "Cooked," created and narrated Michael Pollan, is a four-part series discussing our world's eating habits and calling for a return to the kitchen for fresh, healthy and sustainable food. Each series is named after the four elements (fire, water, air, and earth) because each element has shaped the food we eat and how we eat it. If you're a nerd or a foodie, you'll really get into this.

P.S. Michael Pollan is a bestselling author and his sister is married to Michael J. Fox!

Rating: 4 out of 5

4. Big Mouth

"Let's create an animated show about cringe-y pubescent teenage-dom!" I'm pretty sure the producers told themselves that question when they were in the process of creating this show. Albeit, one of the weirdest things I've ever seen, "Big Mouth" is an animated comedy about that weird time in our life called middle school. Surprisingly explicit, this show incorporates dry and witty humor with odd scenes and characters that keep you watching. We all need a laugh when we think back to those awkward days on the struggle bus, right?

Rating: 3 out of 5

5. That 70s Show

Okay, I know you must live under a rock if you haven't heard of "That 70s Show", but I HAD to add it to my list. This Wisconsin-based home-grown sitcom features classic characters (come on, we ALL know a guy that's as much of a hard-ass as Red Forman) in an iconic setting. Even if it was That 60s Show or That 40s Show, you wouldn't get the same charm and nostalgia that arose in the 70s. It's a simple equation: when you add a foreign kid, nerd-turned-babe, young Mila Kunis, and Tommy Chong, you get perfection.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Happy bingeing!!