Netflix Has Become The New Cinematic Frontier

The massive risks that Netflix took has turned them into a media juggernaut.

14

The risks that Netflix has taken in the past decade have proven fruitful for them. Since 2007 and their decision to stream content via the internet, the cinematic landscape has been changing faster and faster. As a paying member (no password sharing here!), I have seen the ups and downs that the company had taken because of the gambles that they took, here are a couple that comes to my attention.

1. Splitting streaming and mailed DVDs

In 2011, Netflix decided to split its streaming service and its mailing service into two separate entities. Customers no longer had the option of streaming movies while getting even more in the mail. They would become two different subscriptions with two different prices. Netflix took a risk by cutting of angering their consumer base, with many threatening to cancel their memberships altogether. While Netflix took a lot of flack initially, their decision was a good one.

In 2018, streaming has become commonplace in a household. The transition from regular cable television subscriptions to streaming devices continues to rise year after year. Many households no longer have DVD players either, making this once-new technology a thing of the past.

2. Original content via streaming

Netflix has poured billions into creating their own content for their streaming service. When the company began their original content model in 2013, a new age in television and cinema began. The internet space was the new movie theater. Many people scoffed at the idea of not having films in theaters anymore, but fast forward to today, and we see the massive online shift that has taken place. Critically acclaimed films are no longer bound to a theater release; instead, they can be enjoyed from anywhere with an internet connection. Netflix has defied odds and achieved things never been done before.

Netflix continues to change for the better how viewers are able to receive content. Traditional movie theaters are now coming out with monthly-based subscriptions in order to compete, such as AMC's A-list. What does the future hold for traditional and online content? Only time will tell.