12 Reasons Why You Need To Study Abroad

12 Reasons Why You Need To Study Abroad

Wanderlust: a strong desire or urge to travel and explore the world.

130
12 Reasons Why You Need To Study Abroad
Kendall Roche

When I was a high school student looking at potential colleges, I did not know exactly what I was looking for, but a study abroad program was a top item on my list. I considered the chance to study abroad an important part of my college experience. When the time came, I ventured off to my study abroad trip to Spain, which led me to other, amazing countries. I always knew I wanted to study abroad, but ever since I finally completed my trip, I now know why it is so important for everyone to have the opportunity to study abroad...wherever it may be!

1. Getting to travel... duh.

Who wouldn't love going on the ultimate trip to a new place? Adventure awaits!

2. Learning about other cultures is priceless.

If you ever study abroad, people will joke about how "cultured" you are now. You will even notice that you start every sentence off with "when I was abroad" for a good month after you get home. With all the museums and touring around, you certainly are more knowledgeable, especially when you interact with the locals.

3. Meeting new people from new places is amazing.

Not only do you meet new people from the city that you visit, you also meet new people that are on the trip with you. For me, I went on my trip not knowing anybody. I returned to the states with so many more friends that I am still connected with today.

4. Tons of photo ops

Who doesn't love an endless amount of Instagram-worthy photos? That is beside the point because experiencing these amazing views in person is 10 times better.

5. One word: FOOD!

I will gladly travel just for the sole purpose of tasting delicious food. The best part? All this deliciousness will not effect you with all the walking that you will do!

6. Döner Kebabs are ridiculously good.

Döner Kebabs are so good, they need their own category separate than the food category. This street food is a pocket full of heavenly goodness. They can be found in many different countries across the whole world, and even though they may differ here and there, they all have one thing in common: they will make you want more!

7. You will master foreign public transportation.

Whether you hail from a town where public transportation is popular or from a small town where your car or bike are your main mode of transportation, you will soon learn the ways of your new foreign home...even if it is in a different language!

8. You can learn a new language.

When traveling to a new country, you have the potential to learn a new language or a few phrases. Even if you go to a country where they speak your native tongue, you still have the opportunity to learn how the names of items can differ.

9. Crepes >

Do not get me wrong, you can totally get crepes here in the states, but if you ever go abroad in Europe, you will see at least three stands that have crepes on every corner. And you will not be able to stop eating them! They are great for breakfast, a late day snack, and especially for dessert!

10. Cheap alcohol!

Come on, does this really need any explanation? Not only are the prices fairly cheaper than in the states (depending on where you go), you can also find alcohol in any corner convenience store. And who can hate the relatively loose open container laws most countries have? Or the chance to pop champagne on top of a mountain in Spain? I know I could not resist.

11. Getting lost is okay... In fact, it's encouraged.

Sometimes it is better than okay. Being lost can take you to places you never knew you were searching for...such as a funky restaurant or a mermaid statue. Wandering around with no intentions on finding something can lead you to the most breath-taking scenery.

12. You will call a formerly unfamiliar place, "home."

You will start to realize that this once unfamiliar place now feels like home to you. You also realize that once you leave to go back to the states, you will forever leave a piece of you in the city that has taught you so much. But at least you will always have the bragging rights that this city was your home.

If you have the opportunity to study abroad; whether it is for a semester, a month, or a week, whether you are staying in a hotel, hostels, or with a host family, I can promise you that you will not regret making this trip happen. I promise that you will be posting TBT pictures until the end of time with captions reading “wish this never ended” or “wishing I could go back.” I promise that you will fall in love with wherever you go and create friendships on a whole new level. I can promise you that an amazing adventure awaits you.

So, where will you go?