If Super Teams Ruined The NBA, The NBA Has Been Ruined For A Very Long Time

A Golden State Warriors caliber team is nothing new for the NBA, they're built into its very foundation

564
Courtesy of kiGZterSHMK on YouTube

In July of 2016, Kevin Durant signed with the Golden State Warriors and the NBA landscape changed forever. What was thought of as an unstoppable team, fresh off their second consecutive trip to the NBA Finals and having secured the best regular season in NBA history, had just added arguably one of the best players in the history of the game to their roster. The Warriors had created what many called a "super team" and many claimed they had single-handedly ruined the NBA. But if that's the case, the NBA has been ruined for a very long time.

One of my favorite NBA-based Twitter accounts, Rob Perez (@World_Wide_Wob), talked about the super team phenomenon on his ESPN show "Buckets" where he laid out the rules for what he constitutes as a super team. They are as follows:

1. The team must have at least three all-star or future hall-of-fame players.

2. The team must have acquired one of those all-stars by means of a trade or from free agency.

3. The team must have won an NBA championship.

Technically speaking, the Golden State Warriors meet all that criteria. They have well over three all-stars, acquired two different all-stars and won titles in 2015 and 2017. However, looking through the history of the NBA we can see the existence of super teams stretches back al the way to the infancy of the NBA.

1960's Boston Celtics

(9 Championships)

If you want to talk about absolute NBA dominance, look no further than the Boston Celtics during the '60's. The winningest franchise in NBA history won nine of their 17 total championships from 1960 to 1969. The 60's Celtics saw a total of 11 different current Hall-Of-Famers on that roster, including Bill Russell who won MVP four times during that timespan. Of those 11 all-stars, the Celtics acquired three of them through trades: Bill Sharman in 1951, Clyde Lovellette in 1962 and Bailey Howell in 1966.

1980's Boston Celtics

(3 Championships)

It didn't take long for the Celtics to return to dominating the NBA. Even though they were able to win two more titles in 1974 and 1976, the Celtics saw a new crop of all-stars come through the franchise to help deliver three more championships in 1981, 1984 and 1986. Seven different hall-of-famers played for the Celtics during that time, including three-time MVP Larry Bird and one-time MVP Bill Walton. The Celtics front office had to work a bit harder to built this team, acquiring four of those hall-of-famers from trades and one from free agency.

1980's Showtime Lakers

(5 Championships)

Sometimes it takes a super team to beat a super team. Such is the case for the Showtime Lakers who assembled during the 1980's. The Celtics met the Lakers in the Finals three times during this era where the Lakers won two of those matchups. The Lakers had five different future hall-of-famers on their team during this era, highlighted by six-time MVP Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and three-time MVP Magic Johnson. Sixty percent of the Lakers all-stars during this time was acquired via trades or free agencies and helped bridge the NBA into the modern era.

1990's Chicago Bulls

(6 Championships)

Had it not been for this team, the city of Chicago would have never seen an NBA championship. Lead by Phil Jackson and arguably one of the greatest players of all time, six-time MVP Michael Jordan, the Chicago Bulls went on to win six championships during this era. Many argue they could have secured at least one or two more had it not been for Jordan's basketball hiatus. Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman were acquired from the Spurs and the SuperSonics respectively whereas Robert Parish was signed as a free agent. Many comparisons were drawn between the 1996 Bulls, who at one point had an NBA-record 72 regular season wins, and the 2016-2017 Warriors when they broke the Bulls' record by one win.

Early 2000's Lakers

(3 Championships)

At this point in time in the NBA, it became harder to identify a singular ruling franchise through the decade as was the case in decades prior. The NBA had moved into the modern era at the turn of the century which brought a new crop of talent. The caliber of athletes entering the league had increased which made talent more accessible and harder for franchises to monopolize. However, in classic fashion, the Lakers were able to carve together three championships in a row starting in 2000. Had it not been for the tensions between respective one-time MVPs Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal, many believe the Lakers could have gone on to win more championships.

LeBron's Miami Heat

(2 Championships)

This is the big one everyone wants to talks about when they bring up super teams. LeBron leaves a talentless team in Cleveland to actually get a chance at winning a championship and he "ruins" the NBA. Regardless, the Heat do what they set out to do and win back-to-back championships in 2012 and 2013 and reached the Finals all four years during LeBron's contract. While there, LeBron joined the likes of future-hall-of famers Ray Allen, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade and brought his MVP total up to four. People often blame this team for the modern super team phenomena but let's not forget the Boston Celtics who joined Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen to win a championship in 2008. If LeBron wants to compete in the East, he has to join the team that gives him the best chance of winning.

Current Warriors

(2 Championships)

Defining where the super team in this instance is a bit hazy because the road to their first NBA title started back in 2009 when they drafted Steph Curry 7th overall, Klay Thompson 11th overall in 2011 and Draymond Green 35th overall in 2012. I think the Warriors truly cemented their super team status when they traded for all-star Andre Iguodala in 2013. Aside from acquiring Kevin Durant from free agency, the entire team was built on "what-ifs" that took six years to reach fruition. I think it's good for the league. Teams are stepping their game up to beat the Warriors. The Rockets are building themselves specifically to compete for the West. All stars are getting rid of their egos to team up with other all stars to compete. Who could have imagined that Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and Russell Westbrook would have ever ended up on the same team? In my mind, if you're an all star you have to put yourself in the best position to win a championship because sometimes, loyalty doesn't get you there. Ask Russell Westbrook, Reggie Miller or John Stockton

To see a full spreadsheet of all super teams mentioned, click here.