College Freshman Tips

(8/13) 10 Tips for Students Beginning Their Freshman Year of College

How to navigate new waters

301
Brianna Johnson

Gettingreadyforcollegeandleavingbehindwhatisfamiliarcanbestressfulandoverwhelming.

As a first-generation college student, I didn't have any family members to give me advice or tell me what to expect. For those who are in the same boat and unsure of what college is going to hold for them, here are some tips:

1. Sign up for back-to-back classes

This is one of the most important lessons I learned Freshman year. First semester, I had an hour break between almost all of my classes and I regretted it so much. This wasn't enough time to go back to my room, so I found myself mostly sitting in the hallways trying to get homework done. By the end of the day, I was so exhausted and tired of school work that I didn't want to do anything else.

Second semester, I signed up for back-to-back classes and I found myself having so much more free time and feeling less exhausted each night.

2. Pack smart for move-in day

When packing for college, I just threw stuff into tubs and boxes. As I arrived and started unpacking, I realized that I didn't know what were in any of my boxes.

Instead of just throwing things in, make sure you pack similar things together and mark all your boxes and tubs.

Having all your bed stuff in one and all your desk stuff in another makes it easier to know which boxes to unpack first and keeps you from running around your room the whole afternoon to place stuff in different areas.

3. Have an upperclassman show you around

After getting my schedule, I tried to use my school's map to see where my classes were but struggled when I actually got on campus.

My roommate had a brother who was a Senior at the same school, so he showed us both the buildings for each class on our schedule. This helped my stress levels a lot and kept me from getting lost during the first week.

Even if you don't know someone at the school, ask your RA or someone else in your building. If they can't, just take a map and look for yourself. If there's something you can't find, there's usually people walking around campus that can point you in the right direction. Some colleges even organize tours to help find the buildings for your classes.

4. Get to know the people you're living with

This is one of the most important tips to make your school year enjoyable. For me, my best friends for the year were my suite mates, and I'm continuing to live with some of them for my sophomore year.

Whether you're living in a hall-style or suite-style dorm, make sure you get to know the people who are living beside you. Sometimes they turn out to be the type of friends you've been looking for.

5. Use your textbooks

I cannot stress this enough. Some people buy their textbooks and don't ever look at them because "the teacher goes over everything in class." However, you should know that most classes, especially in the humanities and social sciences, don't go over everything in the textbook.

Even if professors don't teach it, they expect you to know the information from the pages they assigned.

I've had multiple teachers who have made test questions or pop quizzes from information only found in the readings.

6. Engage in class

Although this isn't necessary to pass every class, it could help boost your grade. In every class, I made sure to raise my hand at least once per class to ask a question, answer one, or participate in a discussion.

By engaging in class, the teacher begins to learn your name and know who you are, which can help when they're determining extra credit or whether or not to give you full participation points. If they realize you're paying attention, they find it harder to give you a bad grade.

This may not be easy to do in large lecture classes, but it is important to do in smaller ones.

7. Don't overload yourself

In high school, I was in all the best clubs, president of a few of them, and did multiple sports. Extracurriculars are also important in college, but be sure not to overload yourself. Many freshmen find themselves making to many commitments and begin to struggle when it comes to juggling school along with clubs and sports, sometimes even jobs.

Sign up for a few things that are important to you, but leave plenty of time to do other things, such as studying and going out with friends.

8. Go to events

Colleges always have a bunch of free events going on, whether it’s games, free t-shirts, fitness classes, etc.

Make sure you go to them!

Free stuff can always make your mood better and there are tons of it. This is also a great way to make friends!

9. Make friends in your classes

In each class, you should at least have one friend. They make class more fun and may be helpful.

Whether it’s for homework help, complaining about the teacher, or even finding someone new to hangout with, making friends with someone in your class is always a great idea.

Most of the friends I made were in the same major, so we started signing up for the same classes, ensuring we always had someone to sit beside and go to for homework help.

10. Be patient

Finally, this is the most important tip of them all. Freshman year is a confusing time.

It may take awhile to find then the right major, the right friend group, the right clubs, but be patient.

God had a plan for you and he doesn’t put you through any trials you can’t handle. Give it some time and everything will work out.