NAUTILUS Part 14

NAUTILUS Part 14

A Lost History and the Arrival of the Del'Tari

11
NAUTILUS Part 14
Charlotte Tapp

Author’s note: Same news as before, Charlotte Tapp, the lovely illustrator for this project, has declared she is willing to take art requests for content that has to do with the NAUTILUS story. If you wish to see anything in particular, leave a comment below. This is a continuation of last week’s article, which was the 13th installment of this story. Any comments are welcome. This is an episodic story, which means you the audience have an opportunity to influence some things. If there are any events you want to happen or prefer to avoid, do say so. This tale may just go in that direction. Now, back to the story.

Salydula left the room alone, heading back to wherever he came from. This left Kyumi with the four canid guards who made it clear he was crossing some lines. They were just grunts, though, and not paid to think. And to pass the time, Kyumi made a mental note of their appearance, apparel, possible standing in the hierarchy, and so on and so forth. Until Kyumi was so lost in thought it almost did not register that the representative had returned.

“It appears,” he spoke as he entered the room, “that Ygnuwe prefers to avoid any misunderstandings with your employer and has approved of holding a meeting with you, in-person. However, as she does have other, equally important business matters to attend to, this meeting will have to wait for another six hours. I am sure you understand.”

This news did not sit well with the traveler. There are tasks he came to this place to perform and every step he has taken thus far is heading in the opposite direction. Pointing a finger at Salydula, he replied, “I six hour wait-time refuse. I job have quickly must complete. Ygnuwe with me in two hours meet. I approval not care do, I my way in barge if necessary.”

“It is not my place to—”

“Heartsease me hire, I for Heartsease do. Ygnuwe Salydula hire, Salydula for me if living enjoy do. No obstacles, no distractions. I job complete will.”

The representative’s feathers bristled as he finally realized how much danger he is in were he to refuse. As the reality set in for Salydula, the guards around him collectively moved in front, the first two grabbing onto Kyumi’s arms in a vain attempt to restrain him. However, before things could escalate further, Salydula called out.

“Wait! I shall…see what I can do. Ygnuwe does not like unnecessary…messes, after all.”

“Good. Salydula quickly move,” Kyumi grunted, pulling away from the guards.

With a pert nod, the representative leaves to once again negotiate with Ygnuwe. This time, it takes longer. So much so that even the brutes seemed a bit nervous. An interesting development from Kyumi’s perspective, though not one he cares for at this moment. He is sick of things getting in the way. Waiting for what feels like hours but is mere minutes in actuality, Salydula returns once again, appearing more humble and subdued than before.

“Ygnuwe has requested your presence in her office immediately. Follow me.” Without even checking to see if he understood, Salydula turned his back on Kyumi and walked down the hallway.

Of course, Kyumi did follow, mildly pleased things are now working in his favor once more. The two step into the elevator at the end of the hall, leaving the guards behind, primarily because Kyumi himself took up most of the space. The air was filled with an awkward tension as it became increasingly clear Salydula did not want to be doing this.

The elevator stopped and a small ding broke the silence, doors sliding open. With an unsteady breath Salydula pressed on. No guards stood at the double doors, which was peculiar. However, once they opened, Kyumi saw a substantial security detail standing within the room. Stepping inside, the doors were closed. Yes, this was an office, as noted by the desk at which Ygnuwe sat. But it was also a prison. Any who entered are trapped with her and her personal army. Scare tactics. Psychological warfare. These do not work on Kyumi.

“Salydula, sweetie, did this…thing really threaten you?” Asked Ygnuwe. Her voice was scratchy, almost patronizing in a grandmotherly fashion. This fit with her appearance. It was clear she was of the same species as Salydula, only much older and clearly effeminate. Feathers had fallen out, revealing the pinkish-gray wrinkled skin, rendering her hideous amongst most species’ standards.

“It’s nothing, I handled the situation.” Salydula replied quickly, though still maintaining his prim and proper demeanor as best he can.

“I see. And that’s why you let him bully you into letting him up here, ha? Get over here, you stud, so I don’t worry about you getting hurt.” She motioned to a spot between her and the guard on her immediate right. Salydula did as he told, though the tone in which he was commanded unsettled Kyumi. “And you, tough guy,” she sneered at her guest, “I hear you were hired to harass me. You can tell Heartsease that is not a good business strategy, seeing as she needs my operation to keep going. So I am already doubling the standard fees, non-negotiable.”

A vibrating sound resonated deep within Kyumi’s torso as he took a step forward. “Is not a problem. I here not to negotiate.” This seemed to surprise Ygnuwe. She made a subtle motion and the guards trained what weapons they had on Kyumi. This gave him momentary pause as he assessed the situation.

“What do you mean you are not here to negotiate?” To her credit, Ygnuwe’s surprised faded quickly. “Heartsease needs—”

“Heartsease request make: ‘you head of Ygnuwe bring’.”

Author’s end note: Part 14 is now completed. Another show of appreciation to Charlotte Tapp and all the work she has put into this project. Again, criticism and comments are encouraged. Next week will be part 15, stay tuned!