Why I'm Happy I Didn't Perm My Natural Hair

Why I'm Happy I've Stuck With My Natural Hair Journey

Going through this journey hasn't been easy and I've had to fail in order to succeed and I'm very happy I haven't given up.

7

Ahniaelyah Spraggs

In a previous article, I talked about how this past summer I wasn't able to truly enjoy styling my natural hair due to a mistake I made in April. That mistake basically caused my hair to be uneven and no matter how hard I tried to style so its unevenness wasn't evident, it still was noticeable. Dealing with that was very frustrating and sad and I was pretty hard on myself for making such a horrible mistake. I honestly considered perming my hair so that I wouldn't have to deal with the frustration that comes with having natural hair. However, I am pleased to say that as of now it has been over a year since I have started my natural hair journey and on November 10th it will one year since my big chop.

I have made several issues along this journey but each and every time I make a mistake, I learn something new and exciting about my hair. One of the major issues I have made is not being consistent with my hair routine. Before April's mishap, I would wash my hair every Friday night, two-strand twist my hair and leave them in for the entire weekend, take them down on Monday and oil my every three days. I would also take Hairfinity and biotin hair vitamins and drink lots of water. Because I was staying consistent with that routine for some time, my afro was flourishing and I wasn't having any major issues.

Now, I do not have a set wash day and I rarely oil my hair. I still drink water, but not as much as I used to. I believe I stopped taking hair vitamins in May. Furthermore, I tried to continue two-strand twisting my hair but because my hair was uneven the results were not turning out well.

However, I am pleased to say that all of the frustration is now a thing of the past. On Friday, I decided to visit Silk hair studio located at 1657 W. Broad Street. Originally I wanted to go to another salon, but my friend suggested I go to Silk because they weren't going to charge me as much. The lady who did my hair was Jamieka Pollard and she was amazing. Prior to my appointment, I was told that the only way to ensure my hair was going to be cut evenly was to flat iron it. So that's what I went to Silk to have done.

I was really nervous that Pollard would grill me about my hair being uneven like the last person who trimmed my hair did. However, after telling her what I did to my hair she was very understanding and simply just worked her magic. Afterwards, my hair felt soft like a pillow. Before I went natural, it was always interesting to me how soft natural hair looked when it was blown out and straightened. I was very pleased with the results until the wind blew my hair all over the world. Furthermore, because it's really windy outside and raining a lot I'm more than likely going to be returning to my afro before the week is over. However, I'm happy I got to experience the rough side of natural hair and now I have a better understanding of what I need to do to see my hair continuously flourish.