Nashville: Not Just Country Music Anymore

Music City, U.S.A is expanding its horizons.

646
Visit Music City

Nashville, Tennessee is known by many monikers: “Nashvegas,” “The Athens of the South,” and most popularly, “Music City, U.S.A.” Popularized by the abundance of songwriters, musicians, and venues (such as the famed Wildhorse Saloon), Nashville has become legendary for being a hotbed for country music. Many incredibly famous people got their start here in Nashville: Pat Boone, Sheryl Crow, Loretta Lynn, and even pop-queen herself, Miley Cyrus. Press like ABC's hit show Nashville highlight the city's music status as rooted in Southern twang and cowboy boots, but there are many other stars on the rise in Music City, U.S.A.

With the birth of new generations comes the search for new, refreshing music. Many folk bands are currently topping the charts, such as Mumford & Sons and the Avett Brothers. A revitalizing take on 60s and 70s folk music, bands like these have found their home in playing for huge crowds in Nashville. Packed out crowds clamor to hear the sounds of a mandolin or three-part harmonies just as they would for a legendary pop act, such as Madonna. Rock is also finding a comfortable home in Nashville, with many smaller venues playing big bands like 30 Seconds to Mars or heavier acts, such as August Burns Red. Even EDM has found its niche in a city known for its country music. Outdoor festivals and clubs are booking artists such as Skrillex, Paul van Dyke, and Diplo. There are hundreds of cool venues to go see great local or international acts and each has a special history behind it. Some of my very favorite shows I’ve seen have been at small, unknown bars or newly-opened theaters who have yet to prove themselves in a town stacked with amazing stages to perform on. As “Nashvegas” continues to grow into one of the most popular cities in the United States, its variety in what it has to offer in music will keep expanding into an explosion of diverse and entertaining art, as it always has been.

While Nashville will always be remembered for its incredibly important contributions to the start of country music in America, it is slowly becoming a place where artists and musicians of all types can work and thrive. Every single night you can find some sort of show that will suit your musical taste and a venue that will make your experience in Nashville unforgettable.

Suggested Venues:

The Cannery Ballroom

Marathon Music Works

Exit / In

Ascend Amphitheater