Best Activities For Babysitting

12 Fun Things To Do With The Kids You're Nannying This Summer

Keeping kids entertained all summer long isn't as easy as it seems.

363
Peyton Kline

For anyone that takes up full-time nannying as a summer job, you are all too familiar with hearing, "What are we going to do today?" Either that or being hit with the classic, "I'm so bored!" I've come to find that the key to keeping kids entertained all summer long is coming into every day with a plan including something to get them excited to do each day, whether that be a place to go or an activity to do. Here are some easy and inexpensive ideas for those days when there is "nothing to do."

Go to the park

Clear Lake Park in Iowa

For days when it's not too unbearably hot, it's great to get out of the house and go to the park to play on the playground or ride bikes. Plus, after the kids are done burning off all of that energy, you're likely in for an easy rest of the day.

Wash the car

Kids washing car

Pull out the old fashioned soap bucket and big sponges and turn the driveway into a carwash! It's refreshing on a hot summer day, the kids love it, and your car gets clean- win-win!

Go out for ice cream

Ice cream cones

Every once in a while, treat the kids (and yourself) to some delicious ice cream at your favorite local shop! It may cost you a few dollars but it's cheaper than going out to eat and totally worth it. Making sundaes at home can also be a fun option. Don't forget the chocolate syrup and sprinkles!

Have a board game day

Variety of board games

For the rainy days, have a board game day! It's very easy and provides entertainment for an extended period of time. Some favorites of the kids I watch include Connect 4, Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land, Sorry, and card games such as Go Fish.

Have a movie day

kids watching movies in a fort

Another rainy day favorite is movie day! Pick out some of their favorite movies and pop some popcorn. You could even make a fort out of the couch to watch the movies from with blankets, pillows, and other household items.

Make slime

purple and green slime in hands

For some reason, making slime was one of the favorite activities for the kids I watched this summer. Mix together some glue, water, contact solution, and food coloring and you have yourself some gooey slime! There are tons of recipes online- you could even make it glow-in-the-dark or glittery!

Have a picnic

Picnic blanket on grass with fruit

Make lunch a little more fun by eating it outside of the kitchen. Whether it be at the park or in the backyard, roll out your picnic blanket and enjoy the beautiful summer sunshine while eating a healthy lunch.

Do arts and crafts

glue, scissors, glitter, arts and crafts

Unlock your creative side by doing some arts and crafts! I bought my kids canvases and flower pots, gave them some paint, and let them do their thing! Make sure to cover the workspace though, because paint can be messy and easily spilled! Another easy craft is making bracelets with string a beads!

Bake cookies

Cookies with icing and sprinkles

Satisfy the kids' sweet tooth by baking some cookies (after a healthy lunch of course)! You can even cut them out into fun shapes. When they're out of the oven, let the kids decorate them with icing and sprinkles!

Play in the water hose

Kids playing in the water hose

A great way to cool down and entertain is playing outside with the hose, if you don't mind getting sprayed! It keeps kids entertained for hours and you can even get a nice tan.

Have a spa day

OPI nail polishes

This one is for the girly-girls. Pull out all your fun nail polish colors and turn the house into a nail salon! Don't be afraid to paint every nail a different color!

Let them play with the Snapchat filters on your phone

snapchat logo with black background

I've come to find that Snapchat is the most underrated form of babysitting entertainment. Kids get an absolute kick out of seeing themselves with Snapchat filters and recording themselves with the voice effects. Be careful to supervise, though, because you don't want them to accidentally (or not so accidentally) send things to other people or see something they shouldn't see on your phone.

Now, you have 12 ideas to entertain your kids in the summer. Summer is a lot longer than 12 days though, so for the rest of the days, good luck!