I Am 21 Years Old And I Still Play Nancy Drew Computer Games

"I'm on the case!" - Nancy Drew, HerInteractive

145

When I was around 8 years old, I was given my first HerInteractive Nancy Drew game. My neighbor down the street had originally given the computer game to her daughter, but she thought it was "too scary" and refused to play it, so she handed it off to me. I was quite the tomboy growing up, so at first, I wasn't sure if I was going to like such a "girly" game. I had heard of the infamous girl detective before but had never bothered to get into the franchise. That's until my mom explained to me that my friend was too scared to play it. Now I was intrigued, because how could a simple girl mystery game be complex enough to scare someone? "Nancy Drew: The Final Scene" was just the first of many Nancy Drew games that I would beg my parents to get me every time a holiday or birthday would come up and presently it's no different. Okay, so maybe I don't beg my parents for them anymore, but the minute I have some extra cash I'll head over to the HerInteractive website to see if they've released anymore Nancy Drew games.

From Japan to Norway to the bayous of New Orleans, there are mysteries everywhere for you as Nancy Drew to uncover. Each game is filled with puzzles, dialogue choices, and hidden clues around every corner. Even now when I have some free time and I load up a Nancy Drew game, I'll struggle to figure out the steps to solve each part of the mystery. Some games are quicker paced and 'scary' while others are more drawn out and require focus on the tasks presented.

I know what a lot of you are thinking: How could you, a grown adult, still possibly play a game made for little kids? What I say to that is Nancy Drew isn't just for little girls, in fact, the games are for everyone. From 8 years old to 88 years old, anyone can enjoy solving mysteries and fighting crime through detective Drew. You see, you play the computer game as Nancy Drew, meaning you are seeing the mystery unfold through her eyes. I remember my mom asking me why Nancy Drew never actually appears in the games, and I proudly responded because "I'm Nancy Drew!". When I got older, I did a little research and that's exactly why they designed the game that way. It doesn't matter your ethnicity or gender, anyone can be Nancy Drew.

Whether you think it's childish of me to still play Nancy Drew games or not, I don't really care. It has brought me so much happiness over the years and empowered me to be myself unapologetically. You see, she is so much more than a girl detective - Nancy Drew is a role model for everyone. She demonstrates the values of courage, hope, and strength, which I think our world needs a lot more of. It's not just about solving mysteries and catching criminals, but helping others and protecting what you love.

Playing Nancy Drew games was one of the fondest memories of my childhood and I still enjoy playing it when I have the chance today. It doesn't matter how old you are or where you're from, anyone can be Nancy Drew, as long as they stay true to themselves.