My Top 5 Games Of 2017

My Top 5 Games Of 2017

Out of All the Great Games in 2017, Which Lucky Five Get the Shiny Crown?

45
My Top 5 Games Of 2017
Wikimedia commons

While it is indeed February of 2018, it's taken me a couple extra months to decide what my favorite games of 2017 were, and man, was it a hard pick! I had to settle on five out of a pool of around 10 or so, and let me be clear that these games being the "best" of 2017 is purely my opinion, so you're welcome to disagree. However, I encourage anyone who would immediately disagree with me to play these games for themselves before they make their own judgment. Without any more yapping from me, these are, in no particular order, my top 5 games of 2017!

Resident Evil: Biohazard

While one of the later entries in the titular survival-horror game series, "Resident Evil Biohazard" quickly made waves in the gaming community, as Capcom had allowed this game to go back to its grassroots origins, relying on well-timed scares and scarce ammo to survive the night. I reviewed this game a few months ago, and while it was the first RE game I played, it was one of the better survival horror games I had ever played. Great graphics, gameplay, and soundtrack all come together for one amazing experience. Be sure to check it out!

Super Mario: Odyssey

"Super Mario Odyssey" is an amazing experience, and one that can only be enjoyed on the new Nintendo Switch console, but I assure you that it's worth buying the system for just this game. It's another amazing installment in the Mario series, easily matching or even surpassing the likes of "Super Mario Galaxy," its sequel, and the infamous "Super Mario Sunshine." You play as Mario, but you take possession of Cappy a hat-shaped creature that allows Mario to possess other characters in the game. The puzzles are endless and the level design is fluid and gorgeous, and it is a stunning example of how good a game can be, even if technically delayed. A good friend and colleague of mine actually gave the game a thorough review, so check him out if you want to learn more!

Horizon Zero Dawn

In a world full of open-world, free-roam RPGs, you must be unique. You have to be special to survive, and "Horizon Zero Dawn" does exactly that! You live in a world which returns to its tribalistic roots after mechanical machines take over, but you must hunt and destroy these robots to survive so that you can find out the secret of the "Operation: Horizon Zero Dawn." Aloy is a fantastic character, and unlike games like "Fallout 4" and "Skyrim," you are given the task of controlling the main character instead of creating your own. A fantastic open-world experience for those with a PS4.

Persona 5

"Persona 5" is a work of art, and I'm not even talking about the animation style. This game is chock-full of what makes video games worth your time: characters, character development, engaging villains, a great story, excellent music, but most of all: great gameplay. "Persona 5" is a two-faced creature, and by that, I mean that there are two modes of gameplay: one where you're fighting and defeating foes in turn-based combat, and the second where you're trying to survive high school, solve local mysteries, eat crazy food, and win the heart of the girl (or girls!) of your choice. This game is a non-stop ride from start to finish, and you won't wanna put it down, I promise.

Ni-oh

While I said they weren't ordered, Ni-oh has probably been my favorite game this year. For fans of the Souls games ("Dark Souls" 1, 2, 3, "Demon's Souls," and even some games like "Monster Hunter") and those who appreciate Feudal Japanese history and culture, this game is a classic samurai movie, but you get to be the star. You play as Willaim, an Irish-British man in search of his guardian spirit Saoirse (SEER-shuh) after it is stolen by a wicked sorcerer. His journey takes him to Japan, a mysterious country that is on the brink of war and is infested with demons and evil creatures. With the mystical power of Amrita, you gain power as you seek to find your lost spirit. The graphics, music, and gameplay are all astoundingly beautiful, and this game was a joy to play, even if it was hair-pullingly frustrating at times. This game is not for everyone due to its difficulty and length, but that doesn't mean it's not amazing.

Thanks for checking out my best of 2017! I'll be back next year with another installment, hopefully! If your favorites weren't on this list, sorry to disappoint, but I couldn't get to every cool game this year! Some honorable mentions that I haven't played include "Player Unknown's Battlegrounds," "Cuphead," and "Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild." Despite not having played these games, rest assured that I think they're all amazing and still worth playing. Here's to a year filled with good times and hopefully even better games!