My Take On New Year's Resolutions

My Take On New Year's Resolutions

They are great to start your year off right, but are they really necessary?

6
My Take On New Year's Resolutions

So we made it through another grueling year and can finally finish out the disaster that was 2020. And, as with every New Year's celebration, I'm sure you've already started making a list of all your resolutions for 2021. It is great that you are trying to set goals for yourself going into the new year, but all of these crazy resolutions can make you more overwhelmed than is necessary.

Many of the New Year's resolutions I see every year have to do with weight loss or other daunting expectations that can be unrealistic for the average person. My opinion when looking to make a list of revolutions would be to simply give yourself some grace. We are still in the middle of a pandemic and we have had an astonishingly rough year. We quarantined for months, dealt with steadily declining mental health, isolation from loved ones, a stressful but successful election, and so much more. It is going to be okay if you don't lose your quarantine weight right away or get a flat stomach for summertime. In my opinion, while the pandemic is still happening, it is okay to use this time to rest and grow emotionally instead of improving your physical appearance. Besides, you look great just the way you are and you don't need to lose weight to love yourself. Learn to love yourself in this new year instead of changing the things about yourself that aren't really that important.

Honestly, are you really going to put work into completing your extremely difficult goals for the new year beyond the first two weeks after January 1st? Probably not. So, why would you put yourself through the disappointment of letting yourself and your almost unattainable list down? This year, go easy on yourself and either let yourself live or set realistic New Year's resolutions. I promise you that it will be worth it by the end of the year.