I Am A Former Cast Member And This Is My Opinion On Disney World Being Open

I am a former cast member of The Walt Disney Company. I was lucky enough to work with the company Spring of 2019 and have my own opinions on Disney World and other parks being open during this pandemic.

60

When I worked for The Walt Disney Company it was the best time of my life. I got to work in such an amazing environment surrounded by some of the most magical and happy people ever. I got to live and work with cast members just like me who had a love for all things Disney and wanted to be able to share that magic with guests.

The Walt Disney Company means a great deal to me and when the parks closed in March because of COVID-19 my heart broke. I knew it was the best move for the company to keep its guests and cast members safe. It still broke my heart to think of all the cast members and Disney college programs kids like me who just had a dream for working for The Walt Disney Company that was just taken away so suddenly with barely any warning. I thought of all my fellow co-workers and friends who basically lost their jobs and would be without work for who knows how long.

Fast forward four months later and Disney World reopened. It started with a phased reopening two parks first and then the other two. So on July 11th, Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom reopened. July 15th, EPCOT and Hollywood Studios followed. Disney World had serval new protocols to keep up with the virus. To reduce the number of people in the park, Disney World would be selling limited amounts of tickets. Masks are now required within all the marks and must be worn at all times even on attractions. Also, new temperature screening measures were implemented as well as social distancing markers throughout the park and its attractions. Disney World increased its cleaning protocols on its attractions. Hand sanitizer was found throughout the park. All parades and nighttime shows are suspended. Disney even set aside spots within the park where guests who are overheated from wearing masks can sit down and social distance and take off their masks for a moment.

So far since the parked reopen nearly a month and a half ago I think Walt Disney World is doing a wonderful job at keeping the parks under control during this pandemic. At first, when I heard the parks were reopening I was mad and upset. I really did not understand why the Disney parks seemed essential to be open during a whole pandemic. I saw that the cast members who were unemployed needed to be back working and I understood for them why it needed to open. But, I still felt upset because I knew these cast members were going to have to risk their life going to work every day within the parks.

I think looking at the parks now I am not still 100 percent sure that the parks should even be open. With the number of cases climbing each day, having so many people in the same area can become dangerous for everyone especially the employees. So far there are not been many people who have come forward and said they got the virus from the Disney parks but I am still waiting on it.

I see everything the Walt Disney Company is doing to protect its cast members and guests and I think it all has been amazing. The new COVID protocols have been very efficient and everyone has been very respectful of the guidelines. I have seen cast members and guests embrace the new protocols because these people are just glad to be back within the magic. I love Disney World more than the next person and I may still be hesitant about the parks being back open. All the great things The Walt Disney Company is doing to keep everyone safe has made me even prouder to say that I was a former cast member. Now, I'm just counting down till the next time I can visit the parks.