My Love/Hate Relationship With Twitter

My Love/Hate Relationship With Twitter

140 characters shouldn't define us.

22
My Love/Hate Relationship With Twitter

Twitter is obviously one of the top apps used in the millennial generation. In 140 short characters anyone around the world can voice their opinions about whatever topic they deem worthy. Sometimes a random thought can be really funny and get a ton of favorites. Then, there are moments when people tweet things that probably should have been kept in their minds. Some tweets cross this imaginary boundary that most are consciously aware of. There is so much petty and unnecessary verbal mumbo jumbo being spread across this social media outlet. Here are a few of the reasons why I have a love/hate relationship with Twitter:

Every time I tweet something I am in constant worry about how many favorites I get for the next few hours.

Is it funny enough? What if I don't get any favorites? Should I just delete it???

All of the tweets about relationship goals make me want to vomit.

These are the absolute worst kind of tweets and make me want to delete my twitter right then and there. The pictures of people kissing and hugging or fake laughing at the beach are not necessary and unrealistic. Yes, it may happen to some people, but it won't happen to everyone and I hate that it is rubbed in my face every time I go on Twitter.

When something horrific happens everyone sends out their support and love and it makes the world feel a little smaller and loving.

The world isn't always a fantastic place but when something happens, people can show their true colors through Twitter. Most people will send out a small caring message which is enough to bring some light and love to the situation.

On the flip side, when something horrific happens, there are people who make light of it in the worst way possible.

This is the flipside. Instead of sending out condolences for the people who were murdered out of spite, this person decided to comment on this twisted man's looks.

Subtweets. Subtweets. Subtweets.

I'm all for a good Twitter battle, but the back and forth tweets make you look like a coward. Just text or talk with the person face-to-face and have an actual conversation privately about your issues.

I learn more from Twitter than I do from any other news source.

It's sad but true. I see the tweets about tragic events before hearing about them on television or radio. Information is spread so quickly through Twitter which is probably why major news sources like CNN and NBC even have Twitter accounts.

I love social media and use it or check it more than I probably should, but there are some aspects we could do without and I think it's time we all realized it.