My Issue With The NFL Over The 9/11 Fines

An ounce of opinion from a 21 year old conservative

7
Neon Tommy

As the 15th anniversary of 9/11 came and went, I felt such an obligation to put my thoughts onto paper. As most people know the NFL threatened to fine any players that wanted to wear shoes that were to honor 9/11 and those victims. A handful of NFL players wore the patriotic cleats, Avery Williamson a starting linebacker for the NFL had to say “I don’t want to draw negative attention, so I’m just going to focus on playing the game,” Williamson told the Tennessean newspaper, last Friday before NFL Sunday which fell on 9/11.

Two police unions were so furious over the whole situation that they offered to pay the fines that Williamson was going to receive. The news cycle going around about the fines outraged Paul Nunziato, who is the head of Port Authority Benevolent. Nunziato stated “I’m making a goal line stand on this. Enough is enough! The NFL is out of bounds on this,” he insisted. “This guy [Avery Williamson] was hoping to honor everyone who died on 9/11, no matter what their country or color.” Some players were even being threatened by League Reps, stating that they were violating uniform codes.

Here's where my problem stands, The NFL and their commissioner Roger Goodell want to fine players for their tributes to those who have lost their lives during the largest terror attack on our soil but you're going to “support” Colin Kaepernick and say you respect him? This isn't the first time the NFL and Roger Goodell showed their terrible unity for our country. The NFL also once didn't honor veterans unless they were paid too. The NFL commissioner sat down with Matt Lauer for an interview to talk about the 49ers player and to discuss Kaepernick not standing during the national anthem saying “I support our players speaking out on issues they think need to be changed in our society. We don’t live in a perfect society Matt. Our players have strong views about things so I support our players speaking out about that.” This what why I have a problem. How are you going to fine players honoring deaths than support those insult our law enforcement and our country? The decision and stance that the NFL decided to take has disgusted me. Kaepernick wasn't fined while wearing his socks that depicted pigs as cops, so why are you going to fine these players trying to honor deaths. “Kaepernick can wear ‘pig socks’ and not even garner a response from the NFL, but this guy wants to honor those who tragically died on 9-11 and he’s threatened,” said The police commissioner Paul Nunziato.

Roger Goodell get it together, Stand with your country and those who honor it right! Not the ones that insult it. Goodell, you as well as many NFL players and public figures have the opportunity to influence and honor millions in the right way so do so!