My Hero Academia

My Hero Academia

What Does It Take to Be a Hero?

81
My Hero Academia
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/06/03/636635834890768711-1926436463_1394249_Latvian_ShowMasterKeyArt_0d8869a2-2716-e711-8175-020165574d09.jpg

My Hero Academia is an action-comedy anime based on a manga of the same name. Currently in its third season, it’s gaining a lot of attention in the anime community. I’ve been binge watching it for the last few days, and I’m in the third season right now. No warnings for anything graphic I feel I should address but there are scenes of intense violence but nothing gratuitous.

In this world 80% of the population has been born with amazing abilities called Quirks. These Quirks can range from telekinesis, stretching, to the bizarre such as shooting tape from your elbows or having sticky balls grow out your head (seriously there’s a character with that ability). Of course with these abilities came those who would use them for their own gain at the expense of others. So too did heroes also appear to protect the innocent and help deal out justice.

And of all the amazing heroes there’s one who stands above all others: All Might, an impossibly strong, tough and fast giant of a man. His existence alone deters most criminals and he has inspired countless people to become heroes; including our young protagonist: Izuku Midoriya, who wants to be a great hero like All Might. Unfortunately, he is Quirkless. And without a quirk his dream to be a hero, let alone a great one seems impossible. But Izuku refuses to give up on it, running into a dangerous situation to save a classmate in danger. This act of bravery inspires All Might who reveals a shocking secret to Izuku and decides to bestow upon the young man his Quirk: One For All, an ability that is passed person to person and made stronger every time. From there Izuku’s journey to become the world’s greatest hero begins.

In terms of action, this show is full of it. Crazy fight scenes with even crazier powers makes for fast-paced and sometimes visually stunning action. The show in general is very well animated, with fluid movements that seem natural (albeit in a super sort of way). However more than the action, there is the emotional connection we can share with the characters. From Izuku whose been discouraged from his dream most of his life, who now has a chance to attain it, Ochaco Uraraka who wants to do well so her family can relax, to Tenya Iida who wants to be a hero like his older brother. There are many more characters of all kinds to whom anyone watching can relate to.

The show also explores the philosophical question of what it means to be a hero, of what the right thing to do. Of how pride and ego must be taken out of the equation in order to be a hero. And with so many famous heroes that get sponsorships and fans, a lot of them would fall flat of the standard. But does that matter if they still do good? Certain sinister villains come out to...discuss this.

At any rate, this show is a awesome journey to watch as a once powerless kid tries to make a name for himself in this crazy power-filled world. If you liked Hunter X Hunter or One Punch Man, you’re sure to love this show. There’s only 48 episodes so far (as I’m writing this) so you better catch up, I hope you watch!