My Heart as a Sideshow

My Heart as a Sideshow

Come One Come All!
2289

Ladies and gentlemen

And people who do not conform

To the gender binary,

Welcome!

We have a wonderful show

For you today

Come and witness the spectacular

Performance of Rylie’s heart!

Watch as the heart does what many

Hearts have tried but failed

To do before

Do not attempt this without a lot

Of practice

First, we will bring out

A tiger for her to play with

The tiger is getting aggressive

And swipes at her

scratching the poor heart

But the heart says

“I forgive you”

As the tiger saunters away

Next, we bring in a self pitying

Narcissistic bearded lady

Who has bruised this heart for years

Filling it with bitterness

But acts innocent as can be

The heart has every right

To hate this bearded lady

But the heart declares

“I forgive you”

And the narcissist struts away

Coming up, he was hard to get here

but with us today we have a mime!

He started his miming career

while he was supposed

to be protecting Rylie’s heart

Unfortunately, he seemed to have forgotten

That when he took his oath of silence

When he walks up to her heart

He pretends there is wall in front

Of him and he does not look at her

But the heart looks down and whispers

“I forgive you”

He pretends to pull a rope while he walks off stage

Our final guest is an amazing juggler!

Watch and be mesmerized by his speed

Watch how many balls he can juggle

Watch him lose control and drop them

Watch him glare at the heart

As if it is her fault

As if he knocked them out of his hands

His face softens and he eyes do too

Rylie’s heart reassures him

“I forgive you”

The juggler nods and slowly walks away

What a show! What a performance!

Give it up for Rylie’s heart!

We watched as the heart went

Through such ache and sorrow

And yet is still standing here

And offering forgiveness to people

who may not even deserve it

Or want it for that matter

Such bravery! Such courage!

Thank you for coming to our show

Please pick up your candy wrappers

And tissues on your way out

Cover Image Credit: Video Blocks

I Went To "The Bachelor" Auditions

And here's why you won’t be seeing me on TV.
22997

It’s finally time to admit my guilty pleasure: I have always been a huge fan of The Bachelor.

I can readily admit that I’ve been a part of Bachelor fantasy leagues, watch parties, solo watching — you name it, I’ve gone the whole nine yards. While I will admit that the show can be incredibly trashy at times, something about it makes me want to watch it that much more. So when I found out that The Bachelor was holding auditions in Houston, I had to investigate.

While I never had the intention of actually auditioning, there was no way I would miss an opportunity to spend some time people watching and check out the filming location of one of my favorite TV shows.

The casting location of The Bachelor, The Downtown Aquarium in Houston, was less than two blocks away from my office. I assumed that I would easily be able to spot the audition line, secretly hoping that the endless line of people would beg the question: what fish could draw THAT big of a crowd?

As I trekked around the tanks full of aquatic creatures in my bright pink dress and heels (feeling somewhat silly for being in such nice clothes in an aquarium and being really proud of myself for somewhat looking the part), I realized that these auditions would be a lot harder to find than I thought.

Finally, I followed the scent of hairspray leading me up the elevator to the third floor of the aquarium.

The doors slid open. I found myself at the end of a large line of 20-something-year-old men and women and I could feel all eyes on me, their next competitor. I watched as one woman pulled out her travel sized hair curler, someone practiced answering interview questions with a companion, and a man (who was definitely a little too old to be the next bachelor) trying out his own pick-up lines on some of the women standing next to him.

I walked to the end of the line (trying to maintain my nonchalant attitude — I don’t want to find love on a TV show). As I looked around, I realized that one woman had not taken her eyes off of me. She batted her fake eyelashes and looked at her friend, mumbling something about the *grumble mumble* “girl in the pink dress.”

I felt a wave of insecurity as I looked down at my body, immediately beginning to recognize the minor flaws in my appearance.

The string hanging off my dress, the bruise on my ankle, the smudge of mascara I was sure I had on the left corner of my eye. I could feel myself begin to sweat. These women were all so gorgeous. Everyone’s hair was perfectly in place, their eyeliner was done flawlessly, and most of them looked like they had just walked off the runway. Obviously, I stuck out like a sore thumb.

I walked over to the couches and sat down. For someone who for the most part spent most of the two hours each Monday night mocking the cast, I was shocked by how much pressure and tension I felt in the room.

A cop, stationed outside the audition room, looked over at me. After a brief explanation that I was just there to watch, he smiled and offered me a tour around the audition space. I watched the lines of beautiful people walk in and out of the space, realizing that each and every one of these contestants to-be was fixated on their own flaws rather than actually worrying about “love.”

Being with all these people, I can see why it’s so easy to get sucked into the fantasy. Reality TV sells because it’s different than real life. And really, what girl wouldn’t like a rose?

Why was I so intimidated by these people? Reality TV is actually the biggest oxymoron. In real life, one person doesn’t get to call all the shots. Every night isn’t going to be in a helicopter looking over the south of France. A real relationship depends on more than the first impression.

The best part of being in a relationship is the reality. The best part about yourself isn’t your high heels. It’s not the perfect dress or the great pick-up lines. It’s being with the person that you can be real with. While I will always be a fan of The Bachelor franchise, this was a nice dose of reality. I think I’ll stick to my cheap sushi dates and getting caught in the rain.

But for anyone who wants to be on The Bachelor, let me just tell you: Your mom was right. There really are a lot of fish in the sea. Or at least at the aquarium.