My Fish Is A Brat, But He's 'Betta' Than Any Other Fish

My Fish Is A Brat, But He's 'Betta' Than Any Other Fish

Was it really necessary to dig up all of your plants, Pudge?

Keleri
Keleri
54

In late May, I received a pet fish as a birthday gift. It wasn't just randomly given to me, it was something that I had mentioned wanting a couple of times, as I hadn't had a fish for around 10 years. So, I received a fish tank, gravel, and all of the other little things that go along with setting up a fish tank. I got to pick out whichever fish I wanted.

It wasn't really a tough decision. The tank I have is only a 2.5 gallon one, so I needed a fish that would be happy with that amount of space. Also, I wouldn't get too lonely being by themselves. I ended up getting one of the many rainbow-colored betta fish that the pet store had to offer, although arguably mine, with his bright blue scales, was one of the prettiest ones there that day. I also picked out some plants for him, as bettas love leafy plants that they can lay one. Then I brought my new fish home.

I named him Pudge, after the weather-controlling fish in "Lilo and Stitch." I'm not too sure if MY Pudge can control the weather, but nonetheless, I liked the name and thought it would be fitting for him. At least as fitting as any name I could pick for him would be.

The first couple of days, even weeks, went great! He was laying on the plants, swimming around, and building his bubble nest, which was not something I knew male betta fish did, but I found out very quickly. My family was convinced that I was going to kill my fish. My brother is convinced that Pudge wouldn't even last a full week before my fish tank would become a graveyard. So as more time passed on and I was still keeping my fish alive. I was pretty pleased with myself.

However, as happy as I am to have kept Pudge alive, he can be a brat sometimes. The plants that I got for him barely lasted two months before he had completely dug them out of the gravel and had created a dead plant nest for himself at the top of his tank. It was tragic, and now I only trust him with silk plants because I don't want him to kill more plants.

Also, him being a betta fish, he's very sensitive to his reflection, so I have to be careful as to when I have his tank light on. If the rest of the room is dark, he'll see his reflection and start flaring at it.

He thinks it's another betta fish and he feels threatened. This isn't so much a personality trait that's unique to him, as it occurs with all male bettas. But regardless, it's one of the quirks of my fish, and despite the many quirks that have come along with him, I love my fish anyway.