My Fall-Inspired Gratitude List

My Fall-Inspired Gratitude List

The little things I am thankful for.

71
My Fall-Inspired Gratitude List
Morgan Fellows

With cold weather rolling in, and finals in a few weeks, it is that point in the semester again. You know what I'm talking about. It's the point in the semester where we are all pretty negative. We are "freezing," "dying," "stressed," "exhausted," and just plain "over it." With Thanksgiving around the corner, (and really to combat this mindset) I decided to make a Gratitude List for the first couple of weeks of November. I had never thought to do this before, but it really did help me stay positive, and it just made me really thankful when I looked back over my list and saw how blessed I actually am.

In case you are like the majority of college student right now, and feeling a little overwhelmed or down in the dumps, here is what I am grateful for, and maybe some of these resonate with you too.

My Family: My family dynamics have changed for sure since I have left for college, but they have changed for the better. Because I don't get to see my family often, the time I do spend with them is filled with great memories and loud laughter.

The people I share my house with: I live with four rockstar friends who truly make our little house a home. They make me laugh constantly, and from hula hooping on the roof to throwing bacon, there is always something spontaneous in our home.

Oxford, Mississippi: The sunsets over Jackson Avenue, the puppies at Lamar Park, the 38655 - everything about Ox is so charming and I'm thankful to call it home.

Delta Gamma: Having a beautiful house to eat, study, and lounge at is definitely a plus; however the amazing girls in our chapter make me thankful to call them sisters everyday.

My electric blanket: After along day, the best feeling is to crawl into warm sheets. I am naturally cold, so this blanket is a life saver.

Big sweaters: I may look slouchy, but I feel most comfortable in an oversized sweater that keeps me warm as I trek across campus.

Leaves Changing: I probably look like I am on a campus tour when I walk around the grove snapping pictures, but I can't help it. The colorful leaves in the trees and on the ground make me smile.

Communities: Whether it is my friend group, sisters, church, or organizations, I am thankful for all the little families I have here in Oxford. Reflecting back on this semester, I have felt so loved by members of each of these communities.

Strangers That Smile: I love when I pass others on campus who flash a big grin. Something about their simple act of joy really brightens my day.

Grove Squirrels: Okay, actually only the cute ones. Some of the grove squirrels are terrifying. The cute ones nibbling on acorns always warm my heart though.

Short Coffee Lines: Can I get an "Amen?" The worst thing is when I am freezing or in a hurry and have to wait 15 minutes in line for coffee. A short line is for sure something I appreciate.

Boyfriend Jeans: There is nothing like slipping into my favorite worn-in jeans. They are my go-to for a last minute outfit, and I am always grateful for them.

Cheesy Humor: I love a good science joke, and I get so excited when other people have the same weird humor that I do.

Laughter: Spinning off of cheesy humor, I am thankful for laughter. The kind of laughter that has you bent over, tears running down your face, and gasping for breath. The kind where you and your best friends start laughing before the sentence is even finished. Man, that's some good stuff.

Candy-Corn: Maybe I should really be grateful for people who enjoy candy-corn like I do because recently I figured out that all of my pals are candy-corn #haters :(

Watching sunsets: Whether I'm at my condo in Destin, or here at the Oxford airport, watching the sun sink away for the day is something that mesmerizes me every time.

Poetry: Especially pieces that really resonate with me. If you haven't checked out Mary Oliver please do so ASAP. Also, "If" by Rudyard Kipling is a must-read.

The smell after it rains: You know - that really earthy, clean smell. That's the smell that always reminds me, "it's all going to be okay," because good really does come after the rain.

Gentlemen: The boys who open the door for girls, walk us to the door, and take us on legitimate dates. To the true gentlemen out there, I really appreciate you.

Facetime: I'm not the most tech-savvy, but I do really love a good Facetime. It keeps me connected with those not near me, and also always me to be a goofball with friends who I see on a day-to-day basis.

Babysitting: I am so grateful for the little nugs I get to watch here in Oxford. They are the perfect break from my academics, and just so tiny, sweet, and cuddly. They make the perfect play date after long hours of studying.

A Good Spotify playlist: When I come across a playlist that speaks to my soul, I listen to it on repeat. I am a sucker for good music, and a solid playlist is golden.

A lot of these things are pretty silly or minute. Yes, I am thankful for the big things, like having the love of God, family. and friends. Being able to attend college is such a privilege, and I am beyond grateful to be attending Ole Miss. The list is more focused on the little things because I realized that the little things are what make big differences in my day-to-day life. I encourage you to make your own gratitude list. Mine was much much longer than this because once you start writing, you realize there is much more to be grateful for than you thought. With holiday season rolling in, know what you are thankful for, and hold it dear to your heart.

Happy Holidays my friends ~ stay thankful!