To My Younger Brother
Friendships

To My Younger Brother As You Are About To Graduate High School And Move Away To College

Senioritis is totally real isn't it?

265
Emma Weisbrod

Way to go bro, you're in the homestretch. I know your veins are probably pumping with senioritis and excitement for the summer and/or college, but you've got to buckle down. When I say this, you can take it any direction that you want… Buckle down with school work, or with spending time with your friends, or even maybe hang out with your super awesome sister and family if you're really feeling it?

From now until the middle of August it's probably going to seem a little hectic and you're just going to want to take a break and watch it all, or you may just do it all in the hopes of not missing a single thing. Well truth is, balance will be your absolute new best friend (yes maybe even more of a best friend than me of course)

Enjoy your last free bell, the last crappy cafeteria food, the last walk past your favorite or least favorite teacher's classroom. Truth is, while you may not love school, the next time you walk in that building after graduation, it won't be the same because you'll be an alum, ew. The next time you walk in or past your favorite teacher's desk they'll want to catch up with your life, not catch your research paper that could be late.

Enjoy driving around our hometown in our car. Sure your college will only be a a quick-ish drive from home but take some time and just drive around because coming home for the weekend will forever be completely different. Take it from me, I left home for a 40 minute drive to school and I come back and there's a new gas station and fast food restaurant where there used to be piles of dirt. Things just aren't the same! Also, take advantage of the car because I promise you'll miss having the freedom of driving whenever you want to, it's walk across campus from now on.

Enjoy your time with your friends. These last few weeks of high school and months of summer at home are so exciting but so weird at the same time. You've been going to school with the same pals of yours for four+ years now and soon enough you are going to go your separate ways. When you come home it'll be so much fun trading stories and catching up on the time you lost, but for now, make as many "remember when" stories as you can, because soon enough you'll be making those same kinds of stories with completely different group of people.

And of course, enjoy your family. Yeah, you're going to definitely be cramming your exams when I first get home from college, and you're going to be doing everything you can to see your friends, but don't forget about the people in the house that you love. Play cards, go see a movie with us, and don't forget, I love hugs.

I know I am only two years older than you and really not any wiser, but I'm seriously so excited for you in this upcoming graduation and soon impending new experience you are about to encounter. I can't wait to clap my hands so loudly when Dad gives you your diploma and they announce your name. I can't wait to see how you decorate your new home and to send you on your way. Yes, I'll be sad to see you go, but am excited to see how you live your life at school and trade college stories when you return.

While I am excited for all of this and to see how you spend your remaining time in high school and before you leave for college, I am most looking forward to welcoming you home with a hug for your first college break.

Congrats brother, you're almost there and I can't wait to see what you do next.

Love always,

Emma