13 European Cities You Can't Miss If Studying Abroad

Take a train, plane, or car, and go see these cities!

196

For anyone planning on going abroad or just taking a trip to Europe anytime soon, be sure to travel around and stop at all these amazing locations, since they each have something new and different to offer!

1. Prague, Czech Republic

Secretly one of the most photogenic cities in Europe, Prague is home to many sights that I'll bet you never knew about! For example, Petrin Tower, which looks an awful lot like the Eiffel Tower, is actually taller than its Parisian cousin! If you're looking to get some bomb pics for your Instagram, then go see the Lennon Wall, which is famous for being covered in graffiti, usually politically charged, since the days of communism in Prague. Another sight you won't want to miss is the Prague astronomical clock, which is 600 years old! It sits in Old Town Square, so go take a look!

2. Paris, France

Other than the iconic Eiffel Tower, there are plenty of other things to do in Paris, like tour the Louvre and the Palace of Versailles, or see the Latin Quarter with its cozy little cafes! Even if you're not an architecture or art history buff, you won't want to miss the breathtaking views of the Notre-Dame Cathedral or the Arc de Triomphe! Or, if you're feeling especially touristy, visit Disneyland Paris and say bonjour to Mickey Mouse!

3. Florence, Italy

Florence may be a tiny town, but it packs a big Italian punch! See the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, more commonly known as "The Duomo," or wander around the Uffizi Gallery and find Michelangelo's David! Don't forget to check out the jewelry boutiques on the Ponte Vecchio, see the Medici Palace, or try some bistecca fiorentina (Florentine steak), that the city is famous for!

4. Interlaken, Switzerland

Interlaken is home to the most beautiful views in the Swiss Alps. It also has skydiving and bungee jumping...over the Swiss Alps?! What more could you want? If you're slightly less of a risk-taker, there's also paragliding, river rafting, and treetop bridges to pass the time! The thrill-seeker in you is dying to go! While you're there, you can't forget to help yourself to plenty of cheese and chocolate that the Swiss are famous for!

5. Amsterdam, Netherlands

There's so much to see in this little city, but if you're gonna visit Amsterdam, you gotta do it properly! Dine at the A'DAM lookout on a 20 story rooftop where, if you're feeling adventurous, you can sit on the over-the-edge swing! If you have any interest in art, then this is the city for you! Amsterdam is home to the Van Gogh Museum, which is the world's largest collection of the famous impressionist work, as well as his letters and sketches. There is also the Rembrandt house, where you can see where this other famed artist lived and created for 20 years of his life! You can also go and visit the Anne Frank house, or see the Dam Square, which is essentially the Times Square of the Netherlands! And lastly, if you're a college student, you can't miss the Heineken experience, where you can tour through the company's brewery, learn about their history, and have a tasting at the end!

6. Berlin, Germany

Berlin is a city filled to the brim with history, a lot of it relating to the Holocaust. There is the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, which is a huge memorial, formatted like a maze, that also includes an underground exhibition room! Outside of the WWII museums and memorials, there is Kurfürstendamm, which is a long avenue filled with cute shops, cafes, and restaurants! There is also the East Side gallery, which is a huge series of wall murals and graffiti art painted onto a remnant of the Berlin Wall.

7. Lisbon, Portugal

In the capital of Portugal, you'll find yourself in a hub of amazing architecture, gorgeous weather, and beautiful beaches. Praça do Comércio is a lovely public plaza filled with cafes and lots of shopping options, or you can visit Rossio Square, another public spot in the downtown area of Lisbon, which is easily recognizable for its wavy floor ceramic tile pattern! If you're into high-end shopping, then you have to visit Avenida da Liberdade, which is known for being one of the most expensive shopping avenues in all of Europe!

8. London, England

Even though it's of the most touristy cities, you still have to visit all the big stops before finding the hidden gems of London! Go see Big Ben and the London Eye, and do your best to mess with the guards and try to get one to smile at Buckingham Palace! Once you've checked your big-ticket items off your list, make sure to visit Covent Gardens, a shopping hub and home to the Royal Opera House and Royal Ballet! You'll also want to pay a visit to Camden Town, famous for its live music and for being a haven for counter-culture.

9. Munich, Germany

Yes, it's another German city! But you can't see Germany without visiting both of these amazing cities! And while Berlin holds a lot of German history, Munich is its fun cousin who loves to party! Home to Oktoberfest, Munich becomes a hub for drinking once a year when people make their pilgrimage to this famous festival! If you're looking to have a pint with a view, check out the English Gardens, that have an amazing lakeside beer garden! Don't forget to see the lovely, picturesque buildings near Hofbräuhaus München, a beer hall that dates back to the 16th century! Did I mention it's 3 floors tall?

10. Dublin, Ireland

Like in Amsterdam, Dublin is home to a brewery that offers a tour of their history, complete with a beer tasting and a rooftop bar! But it's not Heineken this time, it's Guinness—the beer Ireland is most famous for! Another noteworthy stop is Temple Bar, which is a bustling little riverside neighborhood, well-known for live street music and diners serving a variety of international cuisines!

11. Barcelona, Spain

As one of the most popular destinations for students studying abroad, Barcelona obviously has a lot to offer! You could spend a day taking in the gorgeous views and admiring the mosaics on almost every surface at Park Güell or walking down La Rambla, just shopping and watching street performers and musicians! Just don't forget to see the breathtaking church, La Sagrada Familia, which is one of Barcelona's most famous landmarks!

12. Brussels, Belgium

Although it is one of the smaller cities on this list, Brussels has SO much to offer! There are dozens of museums in the capital city of Belgium, so I'll just name the ones you absolutely have to visit when you go! There is the Royal Museum of Fine Arts of Belgium, and there are over 20,000 pieces there that all show the history of drawings, sculptures, and paintings! Two other museums that cater to people who are looking for more than art in their museum experiences are the Brussels Comic Book Museum, which has original artwork, and the Museum of Cocoa and Chocolate, that provides live demonstrations with a master chocolatier!

13. Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

Though Luxembourg is mostly forest, Luxembourg City is a small but beautiful medieval city in the middle of a rural area. One spot to enjoy the greenery in this town is Adolphe Bridge, a big stone arch bridge with gorgeous views from the top and a quiet, vibrant green park beneath. Another great spot to see is the Musée National d'Histoire et d'Art Luxembourg (yes, I know it's kind of a mouthful), which is located in the Ville Haute quarter and is home to a huge collection of fine art, archaeology, and artifacts. Don't forget to take a stroll around the heart of the town and see the Cathédrale Notre-Dame, and its Gothic, Baroque, and Renaissance-style architecture!