Music You'll Wish You Heard A Long Time Ago

Coming from a somewhat-qualified-but-not-really 18 year old gal!

271
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/30/6365292037125735431615357215_pexels-photo.jpg

I'm back and with another (not really requested, but who cares) music article!

All of my friends and family know that music is high key the best thing in the universe for me and thtat half of the time, I can't hear you because I'm blasting my Spotify playlists through my earbuds (or in my room. Sorry parentals).

The first article I wrote about this was pretty good, but it was my first time working with Odyssey and most of it was pretty main-stream. Given the fact that it's a new semester, I figured I'd take the time to find links and give you some stuff to listen to that you might know of the artist, but these are some personal faves. So, here you go people!

1. ___45_____ - Bon Iver

I love Bon Iver (pronounced Bon EEV-AIR (like French) (Emma, if you're reading this, I'm allowing you this one)), and his new album is straight trippy. It's from the scene in This Is Us where Kate is waiting for her wedding singer audition and she's looking at all of the skinny people and leaves out of insecurity. This song for some reason fits that emotion really well. If you can last the first minute or so (it takes a second to grow on you), he starts harmonizing with himself, and it kind of makes your heart swell up like a balloon. IDK. I'm emo.

2. Shiver Shiver - Walk The Moon

FIRST OF ALL I saw Walk The Moon in concert a few days before I moved back into school. It was at a small venue, but it literally was insane. They're so good. Also, Shut Up and Dance is their worst song and is clearly engineered for the radio, so give their other stuff a try please! It's so good. This song's a vibe. I feel like it fits a walking-down-the-street-with-earbuds-in moment in a movie

3. Garden (Say It Like Dat) - SZA

SZA is an icon. That is all. This song (and all of her songs) leave me severely shook. Like THIS IS TALENT. SO MUCH TALENT. (pro tip: listen to her singing Love Galore on SNL alone. it's LIVE. WHAT)

4. Start Over - Imagine Dragons

You all know I'm as much of a Beyonce fan as the rest of the world (and forever will be), I'd argue this is the more superior Start Over song out there. It's just a jam. When Imagine Dragons puts out a song that you dislike, please let me know, because this one's an underrated one from the third album.

5. Cringe - Matt Maeson

You probably don't know who this is. Listen, thank me, and then start learning, people.

6. This Town - Kygo ft Sasha Sloan

This song is on my emo #feelz playlist. It's like that song that you lay on the beach listening to and staring at the sky. IDK man. Listen though, because it's a vibe.

7. Wake Up - Chelsea Cutler

This song is very summer. I picture myself listening to it as I kinda move through life, you know what I mean? Chelsea Cutler's really good too, and underrated. I recommend Your Shirt, Sixteen, and You Make Me by her as well.

8. Paris in the Rain - Lauv

I think Lauv is underrated if we're being honest. He makes all of his stuff himself with the instruments and the backbeats. Literally, in his basement. This song's really good and he has that vibe-y voice that fits this style. This backbeat's pretty monotonous, but it fits that rainy day feeling that he wants you to have with this song. Plus, I think it's impressive when you can have one sound in the background and do a lot with it, hence my next choice.

9. Shape of You - Ed Sheeran

HE DID THAT. LIVE. AND BY HIMSELF. WHAT THE HECK.

Ok, that's all I gotta say. Ed Sheeran. that's all.

10. LOVE. - Kendrick Lamar & Zacari

(This song swears a lot, so if you're sensitive, just don't listen to it.)

First of all, who is Zacari? Like where did he come from? Like??? I'm sorry???? But this song's great, like everything else Kendrick does. My roommate and I vibe to this at least once a week.

11. Another Day in Paradise - Quinn XCII

Okay, part of me wants to keep Quinn XCII to myself. Like lock him up in a safe and not tell anybody about him, because he's so good I cri. That being said, he's so good. SO good. SO GOOD. My voice of the summer tbh. Listen please!!

12. talk is overrated - Jeremy Zucker and Blackbear

Did you think this was just Blackbear at first? Me too, people. But no! It's Jeremy Zucker, a relatively unknown artist who sounds exactly like him! Blackbear just does the rap! Amazing. (consider this a sensory warning: EXPLICIT. ok we're good now)

13. Jackpot (The Him Remix) - Jocelyn Alice

Jocelyn Alice has one of those sounds that was meant for DJs who like to remix some half-decent, probably otherwise unknown, songs. She has a good voice for that. This should've been in Project X at some point (Not replacing Kid Cudi, but like, c'mon). and it will definitely be in the background of my summer/school year video at some point before I graduate college. Stay tuned.

14. She Way Out - The 1975

My seventh-grade self discovered The 1975 after Harry Styles tweeted a cover of them singing "What Makes You Beautiful" (yes. I was that girl. We don't talk about it.) and I've been hooked ever since. HOWEVER, this song is the one I always come back to (As well as: Loving Someone and The City). You might know The 1975 from that song in the car commercial (It's called The Sound and it's basically a classic at this point.), but again, radio-commercialized song and you should listen to everything else that they've created.

15. New Year's Day - Taylor Swift

Now, I hate the new Taylor as much as any other dedicated fan ever (YOU PEAKED AT RED! GO BACK SWEETIE! IT'S NOT TOO LATE!), but this one almost, almost makes up for that betrayal. It's very Untouchable-esque from Fearless, but more mature sounding. It's sad though. Be ready to get a smidge emo. Another gem on this album: Delicate. It's dead to me after that though. Thanks for nOTHING, REPUTATION.

So, that's it! Hopefully you heard something you like (or could learn to like) and maybe discovered something new!