Moving Out of Your First Dorm is Weird
Life Stages

Moving Out of Your First Dorm is Weird

I will no longer be living in my home away from home... and it makes me sad.

112
Moving Out of Your First Dorm is Weird

Freshman year feels like it only just began, so how is it already finals week? I remember just meeting my new roommate who I'd spend a whole year with. The excitement was buzzing in the air. We've been through so much together. How could it be over already?

Sure, I'm ready to go back home and see my high school friends and spend time with my family. I miss them all so much. My family had a crisis this past fall, which brought me even closer to my parents and made me truly appreciate all they've done for me. I cannot wait to see my dog and cuddle with her all day and every day. I can't wait to get a job and start making money again.

Every part of this upcoming summer sounds great, right? Then why is it that when my roommate started packing up her stuff this week I just wanted to cry? I've put so much into our room, it feels like home. When I'm back at my house with my parents, I refer to my dorm as 'home' still. I've never had the chance to decorate a blank room in every way I've wanted, and this was a perfect room to start that with. I've only lived in one room my entire life, so this was a fresh start.

When my roommate started to deconstruct her side of the room, my eyes began to fill with tears. As much as I miss having my own room at home, I'm not ready to say goodbye to this other wonderful human that has shared a room with me all year. We turned a room with two beds, two wardrobes, and two desks into a home. We've gone through so much together. I'm lucky to say that I'm living with her again next year, but it's still weird that I'll be spending from May to August without her.

Even as I write this, she's currently taking down posters and picture frames. Her side of the room is blank, there's not her wonderful personality up on her walls anymore. I can't help but to cry now. I don't want to pack up my stuff. I don't want to live in a blank room with boring tan walls. Even though I'm leaving in less than ten days, it's still way too early to even think about saying goodbye to this room. My roommate is leaving even earlier than I am, and it's going to be so weird to live in a room without her or her stuff being here on the opposite side of the room.

I'm grateful for everything, though. As much as I don't want to say goodbye, I know I need to start packing my things.

To my wonderful roommate: thank you. Thank you for everything. For being there through one of the worst friendship losses I've ever experienced. For crawling into my bed when I was depressed and laying on top of me until I agreed to go grab milkshakes with you (which I didn't want to admit really did help). For telling me when I looked stupid and for teasing me about my crushes. For putting up with my snoring and night terrors during finals week. For all the movie nights. For leaving me ginger ale by my bed last night when I was feeling sick. You mean the world to me. I can't wait to spend another year with you starting in the fall. Here's to Sophomore Year!