10 Movies You Won't Want To Miss In 2018

These are all so exciting!

54
Avel Chuklanov on Unsplash

In the season of Oscars, I get very excited about movies. I'm excited about them all the time, to be honest, but I often find movies I've never heard of during the Oscars season just because they're more of a topic of conversation than usual. Not only am I excited to see what comes up in the Oscars, but I'm also excited about the movies that are coming out in the next year (or just recently have come out!). Here are some movies you don't want to miss out on!

1. "Hostiles," released January 26th, 2018

Having long admired Christian Bale's acting ability, and having a large weakness for stories of the American West, I think this movie could take the breath away while still provoking some thought. It is a good time for commentary on race issues, and this is a good way of drawing attention to it subtly and thoughtfully. There is much to learn from history. Let's see if they acknowledge that in this movie.

2. "Annihilation," coming out February 23rd, 2018

This movie looks like it could be mind-blowing. Having never read the book, I'm torn between reading it first and then watching, or the other way around. I find that most times the book is much better than the movie, but then again that would probably ruin (to some extent) the spell I'm hoping to be put under while watching the movie. Decisions!

3. "Unsane," coming out March 23rd, 2018

The incandescent Claire Foy, having sufficiently blown me away in Netflix's The Crown, is coming to us now from a very different angle. The unreliable narrator she seems to play looks like it might bring to light a whole new facet of her acting that we've never seen. Since she's a wonderful actress anyway, I'm excited to see what else she's capable of.

4. "A Quiet Place," coming out April 6th, 2018

John Krasinski and Emily Blunt both hold very special places in my heart. They both have a remarkable honesty in their acting that I love to watch. This movie looks like it might be as hard to watch as I imagine it was to make. The suspense looks like it will be excruciating, though in a good way.

5. "Avengers: Infinity War," coming out May 4th, 2018

I am genuinely terrified of this movie. I love the Avengers movies and the Marvel Comics Universe in general, so I am looking forward to it. I just have a terrible feeling that someone is going to die, and I just don't know if I can handle it (especially if it's who I think it is).

6. "Hereditary," coming out June 8th, 2018

Now, here's the thing. I don't think I'm actually going to be able to go see this because it looks so incredibly disturbing I doubt I'd survive. However, it also looks incredibly well done, so for all my horror fans out there, this might be worth a try. Toni Collette is a wonderful actress, far overlooked in many capacities even though she killed it in "The United States of Tara." This looks like it'll be a good horror movie to make you cold, even in June.

7. "The Incredibles 2," coming out June 15th, 2018

I'd just like to say, anyone who believes that the theaters are going to be full of 5-12-year-olds when this movie comes out is sadly mistaken. It's going to be nerds like me and my siblings who saw the first movie in theaters and have seen it so many times since then that we have both the music and the script memorized. Needless to say, we're excited.

8. "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom," coming out June 22nd, 2018

Now, I'll admit. The last Jurassic Park movie was deeply disappointing to me. However, I will say that I think that was because I was expecting a lot more out of it than the directors thought people would be. So this time, I'm going in with the expectation that it's going to be a fun action movie with more plot holes than plot and some kick-ass CGI dino-flesh. That sounds like a good summer drive-in movie to me.

9. "Slenderman," coming out August 24th, 2018

I know that because of this movie, the internet has deemed this meme officially dead. I think that's probably true, but I also think that it's evolved into a bigger cultural phenomenon than it was before. I don't think that's a bad thing. As someone who enjoyed the Marble Hornets series on YouTube, I think it will be very interesting to see what they do with this movie.

10. "Bohemian Rhapsody," coming out December 25th, 2018

Finally, last but never least, this biopic-style movie about Queen is killing me with anticipation. I'm a big Rami Malek fan and a big fan of the music of Queen. This picture of Malek in his Freddie makeup is too good to be true; the resemblance is shocking. It will be hard to wait a whole year!