Movie Sequels: Are They Neccessary?

Movie Sequels: Are They Neccessary?

Some are. Some aren't.

14
Movie Sequels: Are They Neccessary?
Google Images

Movies are a big part of our culture. They've been around for years and we've truly come along way from the black and white silent film days. They take us to new places both visually and sometimes even psychologically. But, as with all good things, there is a downside. Remember when almost everything that came out was in 3-D? Sometimes paying that extra $3 was worth it... sometimes. When I think of 3-D, I think of something that looks like it's coming out of the screen to get me. But practically none of those movies had that. This left me disappointed and I soon dismissed the “3-D hype” as just a means of making more money. But there is one other way movies get money from the people: Sequels.

What was the first sequel you ever saw? Depending on your generation and movie taste, you may say "Star Wars Episode 5" or "Indiana Jones 2." You may say "Halloween 2" or "Toy Story 2." Sequels are usually done because the studio feels the story can continue. Often with franchises, a sequel is already planned while the first film is being made, because there is so much to tell. These movies usually end in (obvious) cliffhangers. However, sometimes the amount of sequels can get out hand and the story just becomes flat-out ridiculous. When this is the case, the franchise will lose fans and usually just end up making a poor quality film. This is most often seen in the "Halloween," "Friday The 13th," and "A Nightmare On Elm Street" series.

When there is a sequel in a few years there will also probably be a remake. And when a remake is being made...fans always have something to say. They watch the casting choices, plotline and director like a hawk to make sure it’s just as good as the original, if not better. However, usually in remakes the characters are “reimagined” for the director’s “vision,” and this is often met with scrutiny from fans. Such as the remake of the classic 1978 horror movie "Halloween." Rob Zombie made a remake in 2007 and many fans denounced it as unnecessarily gory. (I agree.) Or "he Spider-Man reboot from 2012, "The Amazing Spider-Man" which was denounced because Peter Parker’s character was too “cool”(I agree again). But as with anything that is with presented to a group, you can’t please everyone.

Sequels and remakes will be made as long as movies exist. Someone will have a new idea and want to share it with the world. But the world will truly determine if it was a good idea. Their quality will be debated over multiple times, but in the end, the people involved will make money. Movies are our chance to escape reality, and when the movie is good that’s exactly how we feel once it’s over. It may even give us a new perspective on life. We feel like we have come back to the real world after the movie has concluded.