Move Over CoverGirls, The New CoverBoy Is Here

And he's here to slay.

17
www.Elle.com

CoverGirl is one of the leading names in cosmetics and is known world-wide for its many famous spokesmodels, or Cover Girls. Some of those famous names include Katy Perry, Zendaya, Ellen DeGeneres, Sofia Vergara and Janel Monae. These women, and the many others who have represented the company, are some of the most beautiful and respectable in the industry. And they are all women.

Katy Perry, who has been very busy with CoverGirl lately, launching her own line with the brand, posted an image on her Instagram telling her fans that she had wrapped another campaign shoot with CoverGirl. She, then, announced to the unprepared world that CoverGirl had done what many had been waiting for. CoverGirl finally has a CoverBoy!

Seventeen-year-old James Charles has changed the face of CoverGirl, and he’s killing it.

Charles began sharing his story and making a portfolio of his makeup talents he had done for clients on his Instagram about a year ago, and he recently went viral last month after he slayed in his senior yearbook shoot. CoverGirl saw him and approached him to become one of the many fierce CoverGirls that the company has representing it. Charles will be seen with Perry and by himself throughout the year in CoverGirl’s campaigns, and everyone is very excited to see more diversity and representation happening in the beauty industry! It’s about time.

Charles has no problem describing himself as “extra” when it comes to his makeup.

Charles is still a senior in high school and is already inspiring people around the world. The timing to announce the new CoverBoy has never been better. Sure, many people will shut down and, probably, refuse to support the company anymore. I feel sorry those types of people. Like it is said again and again, this is the 21st century. Get over it. The world is changing. Plenty of little boys want to play with makeup, but they are automatically shut down and ridiculed for thinking such things. Granted, it isn’t extremely common to be walking down the street and see a guy with full face on, but if you do see a man killing it with his makeup, appreciate him.

Sure, it isn’t something that most people expect to see when they look at a guy, but why the hell can’t it be? We’re changing as a society every single day. Makeup is a form of expression and individuality. To some, it is a form of armor or a way to feel more comfortable in your own skin. Many women will say it gives them more confidence. Other women never want to wear it. The point is that women have a choice and so should men. That’s like saying that women aren’t allowed to wear pants anymore because originally they were only for men. Well, eventually, society will stop getting bothered by men wearing makeup. News flash – all actors wear makeup.

Let’s celebrate this amazing progress in our country. Get pumped for diversity. The only negative feeling you should have toward James Charles is jealously, because you’ll never be able to pull off that full face like he does. Work.